well this is awkward 🙈 you see I really really wanted to introduce you to this super awesome salad omelette combo thing before the seattle rain started coming down like it’s trying to make up for all the lost time over the summer.. no such luck though, I kinda missed that boat.
the rain is here.
my rain jacket has officially been pulled out of the closet, and there’s plans for super cozy meals happening. like right after this post. pinky promise.
but there’s still summer corn piled up at our markets! I’m feeling so confused, and I still really think you should know about this super easy-healthy open faced omelette with arugula, sweet corn and avocado salad (not to mention red onion and cilantro 😍) that can be thrown together in 20 minutes. plus, when the seasons officially change the sweet corn and avocado could easily be swapped out for roasted sweet potatoes and black beans ..and maybe still avocado. because avocado always on everything.
forever and ever the end.
aaand maybe some of you reading this are actually still hanging out in the sun with a fab glass of rosé planning a super quick summer-y dinner (can we be friends plz!?) in which case, consider this destiny. 😉
this recipe is very easy. I don’t even make the omelette like a fancy omelette maker (no offense fancy omelette makers! you rock, I just don’t always have your patience!)
you see a couple of months ago I discovered this new way of cooking eggs called a framble (fried-and-scrambled) and lets just say I kinda love it. basically you heat up a small skillet until it’s fairly hot, crack your eggs into it and break the yolk to kind of half heartedly scramble the eggs. it looks really pretty if you leave the white and yolk somewhat separate, and if you use olive oil and sauté a clove of garlic in that oil before you do the frying? well it’s pretty unforgettable. my old ways of omelette-ing are gone.
out the door.
hello crispy egg edges!
and because I really like the whole hot/cold food thing I thought I would try tossing up a simple salad to throw in top of the crispy edged frambled omelette and see what would happen. I think it worked out pretty well. I suppose we wouldn’t be here if it didn’t.
so while I’m standing here halfway between summer and fall, for this moment, for the sake of this salad, I’ll pretend that the sun is still shining in my window, and that this hot coffee is indeed iced, or maybe a popsicle. like this one.Print
a crispy edged open faced omelette with a simple arugula, sweet corn, avocado, cilantro and red onion salad on the top.
- 2 big handfuls of arugula
- 1 small ear of corn cooked by whatever method you choose
- 4–5 sprigs of cilantro torn into smallish pieces
- about 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 an avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a lemon
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil + more to drizzle on salad
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed with the side of a knife
- 6 eggs
- combine arugula, cooked corn, torn cilantro, red onion, and avocado in a bowl, dress salad with a little drizzle of olive oil, squeeze of half the lemon, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. toss and set aside.
- heat 1 tbs olive oil in a small skillet over medium to medium high heat (depending on how crispy you like your eggs – the higher the heat, the crispier they’ll be)
- add one clove of smashed garlic to the hot oil and let it cook until it is very brown and fragrant. remove from pan.
- crack 3 eggs into the pan all close together and gently break up your yolks. tilt your pan so the eggs sort of fill the frying pan in a perfect circle. season with salt and pepper.
- once the edges start to look crispy and the top is almost fully cooked flip and cook the other side for about another 30 seconds.remove from pan and keep warm if possible.
- repeat with the remaining 1 tbs of olive oil, smashed garlic clove and 3 eggs.
- top omelette with salad and serve immediately.
- Category: lunch, salad
Did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out! you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xo