This 30 minute chickpea and tomato coconut curry soup is made in 30 minutes with mostly with pantry staples, and has a TON of good-for-you flavor. It’s the perfect Meatless Monday comfort soup! Vegan and gluten free.
Sharing the first soup recipe of the season here on NK makes soup season feel like a real real thing.
I have been testing and making a few different soup recipes for the last month or so, in prep for the colder days, but it wasn’t until this week that I really felt compelled to make soup.
You know the feeling – don’t you? When you suddenly find yourself reaching for your fleece before getting in your car to drive home from work, because BRRR. And as you think about what would be good for dinner, and the only answer that chimes in your head with a resounding YES is… soup.
And amidst the dropping temps I swear the sunset time took a serious jump to an earlier time. Like waaay fast than the minute or two it’s supposed to shift each day.
How does that happen?!
But instead of dwelling on all the things we’re saying good bye to (summer I love you please don’t goooo), let’s try and do our best to embrace all the lovely parts of this season.
I mean to start there’s some colorful + crisp leaves that are already underfoot <— the best.
And it’s time to pick out a new pair of rain boots – I’m thinking Hunter’s – I’ve been wanting a pair for the loooongest time! Do you guys have a fave pair of rain boots you recommend? My only pair has a hole in in the bottom 🙄 And it rains here. A lot. This is not a good combination.
Plus the cozy-lazy weekends (where you maybe don’t take off your stretchy pants all damn day) spent watching football and cooking all the things are pretty much hereeee, friends!
And so are fragrant flavorful soups like this could-not-be-easier-to-make curried tomato chickpea number. It only takes 30 minutes, and you probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now already.
YES YES YES.
This time of year (okay maybe every time of year), I’m big into curry and soup. The warming spices paired with creamy coconut milk are basically heaven on earth.
Curry paste and curry powder both have their place, but we’ll be using curry powder for this soup recipe. It doesn’t take a lot to bring a lot of flavor, and it’s keeps the recipe simple and to the point.
If you’re into rice this curry soup would be lovely with a big old scoop of fragrant basmati rice, but it won’t be missed if you leave it out.
The one thing I don’t recommend skipping for this soup though is the garnishes. Without them the soup is still good, but fairly simple. There’s something about the crunch of the cashews, the zip of the lime (<– absolutely essential), the cilantro, and thinly sliced red onion for some must-have-freshness that takes this bowl of soup from good to OH-MY-GOD amazing.
Ready in only 30 MINUTES so it’s basically made for those days when it feels like there’s just not enough time to make something healthy. Buuuut it also has enough flavor and charm to spare that it’s perfect for a date night or get together.
AKA fancy fresh + and oh-so-yum. Ya feel me?
And with that I think it’s safe to say: HI SOUP SEASON WE SO READY FOR YOU NOW! 😉Print
This 30 minute chickpea and tomato coconut curry soup is made in 30 minutes with mostly with pantry staples, and has a TON of good-for-you flavor. It’s the perfect meatless comfort soup! Vegan and gluten free.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced small
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- pinch of crushed dried chilies (optional – leave out for less spicy)
- 1 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes – fire roasted are yummy if you can find them
- 2 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups of broth of choice
- juice of half a lime
- fresh lime
- thinly sliced red onion
- roasted cashews – bonus points for curry spiced cashews!
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion, garlic and teaspoon of salt. Saute for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent and soft.
- Next add the curry powder and pinch of dried chili and stir almost constantly for about 30 seconds or so, until spices are fragrant and start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the diced tomatoes and broth.
- Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until tomatoes are soft.
- Add chickpeas and coconut milk and bring back up to a simmer. Simmer for another 5 minutes or so to marry the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper and juice of half a lime.
- Serve topped with sliced red onion, cilantro, roasted cashews and more lime wedges.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Curry
Keywords: soup, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, meat free monday, chickpeas, tomatoes, curry, 30 minute meals, fall, winter, healthy, easy, quick