This 30 minute chickpea and tomato coconut curry soup is made in 30 minutes with mostly with pantry staples, and has a TON of good-for-you flavor. It’s the perfect meatless comfort soup! Vegan and gluten free.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced small
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- pinch of crushed dried chilies (optional – leave out for less spicy)
- 1 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes – fire roasted are yummy if you can find them
- 2 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups of broth of choice
- juice of half a lime
- fresh lime
- thinly sliced red onion
- roasted cashews – bonus points for curry spiced cashews!
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion, garlic and teaspoon of salt. Saute for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent and soft.
- Next add the curry powder and pinch of dried chili and stir almost constantly for about 30 seconds or so, until spices are fragrant and start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the diced tomatoes and broth.
- Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until tomatoes are soft.
- Add chickpeas and coconut milk and bring back up to a simmer. Simmer for another 5 minutes or so to marry the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper and juice of half a lime.
- Serve topped with sliced red onion, cilantro, roasted cashews and more lime wedges.