who doesn’t love a quick and easy dinner? especially one that is protein rich and fills up your house with the mouthwatering aroma of roasting garlic, harissa and chicken.
pretty sure the only thing that was disappointing about making these drumsticks was the fact that there wasn’t enough for everyone to pack some for lunch tomorrow. lesson learned! won’t be making that mistake again.
throw together your marinade before bed, or in the morning before you leave for work (I promise it won’t take you more than 5 minutes! happy dance! happy dance!) preheat your oven, pat them dry, and bake for a healthy 30 minutes while you throw together a salad and you’ll be patting yourself on the back for a well executed home cooked meal that looks and tastes like it took a whole lot more effort than it actually did.
go you! you weekday dinner warrior, you.Print
garlicky harissa and buttermilk roasted chicken drumsticks
easy to make, crispy skin, juicy meat, lots of flavor, these chicken drumsticks will check off all all your boxes for a tasty weeknight dinner
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: about 4 servings
- Category: chicken
- about 2 lbs chicken drumsticks (6-8 pieces)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper or 1/2 tsp crushed dried chili flakes (aleppo pepper tends to be less spicy)
- 1 tsp harissa paste (a north african and middle eastern aromatic chili paste, can be substituted with regular hot sauce and maybe a dash of ground cumin)
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs salt
- a few healthy grinds of black pepper
- fresh parsley
- green onions
- mix drumsticks and all marinade ingredients together well and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. (if you’re in a rush and don’t have that much time you can add a little more of everything except the buttermilk to speed up your flavor infusing process).
- when you’re ready to cook preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- remove drumsticks from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, season with black pepper, and cover with aluminum foil.
- bake for 30 minutes or until the juices from your chicken run clear.
- once chicken is fully cooked broil on medium or high for just a few minutes to brown and crispen skin. you’ve come this far! keep a close eye on things so it doesn’t burn.
- remove from oven and sprinkle with a little coarse ground sea salt, fresh parsley and green onion if desired.
- serve with a big salad, cous cous, or really anything that makes you happy!
Did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out! you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xo