I’m a little embarrassed to admit how long I’ve had this simple recipe floating around my summer. Landing itself after workouts, for friend-loaded-out-of-state-brunches, and introducing it to tequila before YOU!! It’s a shame, really. Not to mention the fact that the weather is already cooling down and we’re all thinking more about sweaters and soup (ahem like me, who’s going to be making one later today) than we are the necessity to cool the EF down IMMEDIATELY.
My timing may be a little off, but you’ll have to accept my sincerest apology. Because all of these reasons aren’t enough to keep my from introducing you to the summer beverage love of my life, – the watermelon strawberry quencher.
Literally a perfect summer drink – this watermelon strawberry quencher is icy cold, refreshing, hydrating, and sooo mega easy to make.
And has proved itself to be a hydration savior throughout the warmer months.
It got it’s start, when for some reason I decided in the middle of Seattle’s massive (for us, okay? Don’t judge me!) heat wave, I took up RUNNING. Running, guys! This is kind of a big deal for me.
Cuz for as long as anyone has known me I have been the professed “I will never be a runner” .. and “it’s just sooo boring” type of a lady. But then I discovered this awesome app called aaptiv, and things will never be the same. Hellllo endorphin high!
They create running, strength training, yoga and even meditation programs that are led by fitness professionals and backed with music to keep you motivated and up to speed. And with their help, running suddenly became… fun. Something I nevvvvver thought I would say. If you need a mix up in your exercise routine I definitely recommend checking them out.
And that’s how in the midst of the heat and sweat the crazy in me thought… why not sweat some more?
LOL GOOD IDEA, NYSSA. Until your face is beet red and you can’t stay hydrated to save your life.
At least not until you discover things like this watermelon strawberry quencher.
Also known as a icy blended beverage lovers dream.
And now, this is where in the same blog post that I talk about exercise I also mention the fact that this quencher is a wonderful cocktail mixer (TEQUILA!), and hangover helper.
Let’s just say it’s a real multi-tasker.
Which, I think now is a good time to say that it’s also made with only THREE ingredients!
THREE, PEOPLE! It doesn’t get much simpler than that.
Something your “I just got back from a run and am dyyyying of thirst” or “I’m ready for a tasty cocktail yesterday!” or “I’m too hungover to even think straight” self can tooootally handle.
what three ingredients is this quencher made with?
Take one look at that picture and I think you’ll have a pretty good guess.
- Fresh watermelon
- Frozen strawberries
- Lime juice
There’s the couple freebie extras that I think most recipes are allowed – in this case it’s water (or coconut water if you’re feeling extra fancy – or dehydrated), and high quality sea salt.
what makes this watermelon strawberry quencher healthy and hyrdrating?
In order to stay hydrated, our bodies need a proper balance of sodium and potassium – two very important electrolytes that work together to regulate fluid balance in our cells, promote muscle function and prevent post workout cramping.
While watermelon doesn’t have incredibly large amounts of potassium, it does have enough to provide that balance when paired with a natural sea salt – such as celtic or pink himalayan, like it is in this recipe.
This combo further enhances the already amazing health benefits of watermelon, which include ..
- Providing the second highest food source for Lycopene (guava comes in 1st, and cooked tomatoes come in 3rd), a carotenoid anti-oxidant that can help prevent cancer, promote heart health, and, if eaten regularly has even been shown to help reduce susceptibility to sunburn! WUT?! Food is so cool.
- A healthy supply of Vitamin C, which, plays a vital role in forming and maintaining collagen – the protein that forms all of our connective tissues from ligaments to cartilage.
- A valuable amino acid called citrulline, which partially converts to arginine, another important amino acid. Both of which help promote cardiovascular health, blood flow and circulation. Great things to try and consider after working out (or working out your cocktail sipping capabilities! 😉
Pretty rad combo of health benefits, amirite?
Now that we’ve covered the WHY, let’s talk briefly about the HOW…
how to make the watermelon strawberry quencher
I know I say this all the time, but it really could not be simpler, you guys.
- Cube about 2 cups of ripe juicy watermelon (the riper the better! More ripe = higher nutritional content)
- Add to a blender with some frozen strawberries, a whole lime – peel removed, water and sea salt.
That is all. Almost to easy to be fair, really.
But if unfair = icy, watermelon strawberry refreshing goodness, I don’t really don’t care about being fair.
So in the spirit of being optimistic, and considering we technically still have ONE WHOLE MONTH of summer left, let’s make the most of it and drink alllll the watermelon strawberry quenchers together, mmk? 🙂
Want more easy and healthy blended drink recipes? Check out these favorites!
- Blended citrus juice with ginger and turmeric
- Hibiscus and strawberry slushies
- Bedtime turmeric golden milk bulletproof latte
Did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out for you! when you rate my recipes and leave feedback it helps me continue to improve. you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the tag @nyssaskitchen or hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xoPrint
Watermelon strawberry quencher! The most hydrating watermelon drink you’ve ever had! Made with only fresh watermelon, frozen strawberries, and lime juice.
- 2 cups of watermelon, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 whole lime, ends trimmed and peel cut away – Like this:
- big pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cold water or coconut water
Add watermelon, frozen strawberries, lime, sea salt and water to a blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds, until no pieces of frozen strawberry remain.
Serve immediately and enjoy!