dang, it’s been a minute!
are you guys ready for some tacos or what!?
as you know from a couple posts ago I have been putting that fast + easy romesco sauce on pretty much everything. and guess what? it’s a super bomb addition to these healthy chicken black bean and kale tacos, too!
in fact, it even gets thrown into the recipe twice. that’s right, count it: TWO TIMES!
first you stir in a few big tablespoons into the taco filling, and you’ll also make a yogurt sauce with the romesco for a lovely topping! because we all know that tacos ain’t nothin’ without toppings 😉
for the taco filling:
like all good + delicious things the flavor base gets started with some sautéed onions and garlic. after which you add your chicken sausage of choice to the pan to brown. I have made this recipe with a couple different types of chicken sausage:
the first was a garlic and herb, which was nothing short of amazing, and the second time I tried a spinach and feta version..not quite as amazing…
read: crusty cheese stuck to the bottom of the pan. no fun to clean up! should have seen that one coming…
but besides making cheesy choices I think you could really go with any chicken sausage that sounds good to you. keep it within the realm of taco-ish flavors and you’ll be good to go. and also keep in mind you will add some taco spices in addition to whatever herbs + spices have already been added to the chicken sausage for extra yum factor.
I almost forgot the most important thing though: it must be a raw chicken sausage! you’ll cut that casing right off and put the meat + some yummy spices in the pan to brown up and get to know those melty onions and garlic that have already been cooking away. If it’s not raw chicken sausage, everything won’t come together in quite the same way.
after the chicken is cooked through you’re going to add the drained and rinsed black beans, chopped kale, a little salt + pepper and cover that pan up so the kale has a chance to wilt. once the kale is pretty much cooked to your liking, dollop a couple spoons of that tasty romesco sauce in with everything, along with a big big squeeze of lime to lift up allll those deep + delicious flavors that have been developing and VOILA! healthy chicken taco perfection.
👉🏼 if you want extra points here: toast your tortillas in a hot cast iron skillet on both sides before loading it up!
I know I missed the tuesday mark but let’s be real, tacos on any day equal a winning situation!
did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out for you! when you rate my recipes and leave feedback it helps me continue to improve. you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the tag @nyssaskitchen or hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xoPrint
a quick and healthy recipe for chicken tacos with black beans, kale, romesco yogurt sauce and feta cheese.
- 1 tbs ghee or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- pinch of salt
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 raw chicken sausages – casing removed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp taco seasoning or chili powder
- 1 15 oz can beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale, washed and chopped
- 2 big tbs romesco sauce
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbs romesco sauce
- pinch of sea salt
- feta cheese (optional)
- for tacos:
- sauté diced onion with 1 tbs of your fat of choice and a pinch of salt over medium heat until soft and starting to caramelize.
- add chopped garlic and cook for one minute more, until fragrant.
- make a space in the middle of the pan and add chicken sausage, with the casing removed.
- press flat in the pan and cook, allowing to start to brown before stirring it around too much.
- add paprika and taco seasoning or chili powder and break up the chicken sausage into smaller bits.
- cook until meat is well browned and cooked through.
- add beans and kale to the skillet and toss to combine.
- cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- stir in 2 big tbs romesco sauce and finish with a big squeeze lime + salt and pepper to taste.
- serve tacos topped with romesco yogurt sauce + feta cheese if desired!
- for romesco yogurt sauce:
- mix together yogurt and 1 1/2 tbs romesco sauce, and season with a pinch of salt.
- Category: dinner, tacos
- Cuisine: healthy, easy