This healthier iced pumpkin spice latte recipe is made with feel good ingredients that you probably already have stocked in your kitchen! A healthier homemade twist on a favorite fall inspired coffee that is paleo, vegan, and dairy free. Instructions included below for how to make this latte without pumpkin puree!
A quick note on this recipe! The original version of this post was published back in 2017. Since then I’ve re-tested the recipe, updated the photographs, and the content. I’m republishing it for you today to enjoy! I hope you continue to make and love this delicious healthier iced pumpkin spice latte! xo
It’s officially that time of year where most of us are thinking about pumpkin everythinggg. Although if I’m being totally honest, I didn’t really start crushing on a good PSL until I started making them up at home! They’re so easy to whip up, affordable, and made with clean ingredients, which is a win / win / win in my book!
I’m sure a lot of you are pining for some cozy fall recipes before the *actual* cool temps arrive, & this healthier iced pumpkin spice latte is here to bridge that gap.
That’s right, I got your back.
Pumpkin spice latte style 😋
Why you’ll love this iced pumpkin spice latte
This paleo friendly iced PSL is:
- Full of pumpkin pie flavor
- Laced with dark toasty notes of coffee
- Naturally sweetened
- Inexpensive to make
- So very delicious!
Healthier iced pumpkin spice latte ingredients
This homemade healthier iced pumpkin spice latte is made with a few simple plant based ingredients. It achieves the crave-able pumpkin flavor from real pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. But don’t worry if you can’t find pumpkin! I know it’s hard to come by this year, so I have some alternatives listed lower in the post if you can’t get your hands on any.
Here’s what you need to make this iced coffee recipe:
- Cold brew or espresso – both will work!
- Pumpkin puree – See the section lower in this post about alternatives if you can’t find any pumpkin!
- Pumpkin pie spice – A few dashes of cinnamon will do in a pinch!
- Vanilla extract
- Non dairy milk of choice – Oat milk, almond milk, and cashew milk are all delicious!
- Maple syrup – To taste – however much you like will work! You could also substitute another natural sweetener like coconut sugar or honey.
- Tiny bit of sea salt – to bring out the best of all the flavors.
- Whipped cream – Optional, but so yummy for that little something *extra*.
How to make this healthier iced pumpkin spice latte
Okay now this is where it really gets fun, because all you have to do is add everything to your blender and press GO! We’re talking 3 easy steps – 2 if you opt to skip the whipped cream.
Here’s the step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Gather your ingredients
Gather all the ingredients listed above (full recipe details at the bottom of this post!).
Step 2: Blend!
Add everything to the blender (except the whipped cream) and blend until smooth and creaaaaamy. At this point you can give it a test sip and see if you’d like to add more maple syrup, vanilla extract, or pumpkin pie spice.
Step 3: Top with whipped cream + serve!
THAT’S IT. So easy, right?
Is this healthier iced pumpkin spice latte actually healthy?
Short answer: yes!
Because this latte is…
- Made with with real food ingredients
- Naturally sweetened
- Dairy free
…it’s considerably healthier than most coffee shop versions!
Can you make this healthier iced pumpkin spice latte without pumpkin puree?
Yes! You can.
You might already know because you’ve searched the shelf at all your local grocery stores that there is a bit of a pumpkin shortage right now. I finally got lucky and found some at our local Trader Joe’s, but if you can’t find it, NO WORRIES. I’ve got you.
Here’s some options to make this cold pumpkin spice latte recipe WITHOUT pumpkin puree:
- Use another puree instead! I’ve tested this recipe with canned sweet potato puree and canned butternut squash puree and both were delicious. I know sweet potato latte or butternut squash latte may not have *quite* the same ring as PSL, but call it what you want, your tastebud’s won’t be able to tell the difference!
- Skip it! If you make this latte without the pumpkin puree and keep the pumpkin pie spice blend you’ll get a lot of the same experience as you would with the pumpkin.
- Switch up the flavors. This idea is a spin off the previous suggestion. You can make this latte without the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, and instead opt for just cinnamon, or some chai spice, or a blend of whatever warming spices you’re into at the moment! Cardamom, ginger, and cloves would all be DELISH.
Can you make this latte without coffee?
Absolutely! There’s a few options to make this latte if you don’t drink coffee.
- If the issue is caffeine, opting for decaf is a great option.
- Don’t drink coffee but love tea? Try this recipe with your favorite dark herbal tea, or a strong black tea brew! I recommend brewing your tea and chilling it before you start so the latte doesn’t end up too watered down.
- Try it with Four Sigmatic coffee! While this isn’t quite a *no coffee* option, the instant coffee packets from Four Sigmatic are a medicinal mushroom boosted option that can leave you feeling a little less jittery than a regular cup of joe.
How to make this PSL without a blender
No blender? No problem. This latte can be made a few different ways.
Here’s some suggestions:
- Whisked together using a little battery operated handheld whisk like this one (the exact one I use in my kitchen – also great for travel!)
- In a jar with an immersion blender
- With an old fashioned whisk and bowl situation
- Bonus method: I made a round of this where I poured the cold brew over ice, and then frothed everything else together in my Nespresso milk frother on the cold setting and poured it over the cold brew – perfection!
Love this recipe? Here’s some other healthier latte recipes to try!
- Dreamy Cacao Rose Latte
- Bulletproof Bedtime Golden Milk Latte
- Iced Activated Charcoal Latte
- Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Bulletproof Rooibos Cardamom Blender Latte
This healthier iced pumpkin spice latte recipe is made with feel good ingredients that you probably already have stocked in your kitchen! A healthier homemade twist on a favorite fall inspired coffee that is paleo, vegan, and dairy free.
- 1 cup cold brew coffee or 4 shots of espresso
- 1 3/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice – oat, almond, or cashew would all be DELISH
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (sweet potato puree also works if you can’t find canned pumpkin. You can also leave it out!)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or to taste)
- pinch of sea salt
- whipped cream (optional, but such a treat!)
- Add everything to the blender except for the whipped cream. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Divide between 2 glasses, top with whipped cream + an extra dash of pumpkin pie spice and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: drinks
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: autumn
Keywords: pumpkin, pumpkin spice latte, fall, autumn, starbucks, homemade psl, psl, espresso, cold brew, coffee, latte