This eggnog espresso martini with rum is a luscious and festive homemade holiday cocktail. Made with your favorite eggnog, rum (or whiskey or vodka), coffee liqueur (kahlua), cold brew coffee or espresso, vanilla, and cinnamon. The perfect spiked eggnog recipe to enjoy during the holiday season! Easily made dairy free by using vegan eggnog.
Nothing says “happy holidays” quite like a festive eggnog cocktail to sip while sitting next to your Christmas tree 😌🎄 It is the perfect December treat!
Espresso martinis have always been one of our favorite make-at-home cocktails. A go to drink that we often whip up after dinner or before a night on the town. These days, we’ve been enjoying this eggnog version cozied up next to the Christmas tree, playing games, or watching a holiday movie.
Over the past few years I’ve been diving a little deeper into some home bartending skills with cocktails like this Spiced Hibiscus Sour, and now this absolutely delightful eggnog espresso martini with rum!
Even if bartending really isn’t your thing, I promise you this espresso martini is super simple to make. Probably easier than you think! And truly so satisfying to pour yourself one for a cozy night in. I’ll walk you through how to do it from start to finish in this blog post.
Why you’ll love this eggnog espresso martini with rum
This spiked eggnog recipe is:
- Delightfully festive
- Laced with notes of coffee
- Easy to make
- Hinted with cinnamon and vanilla
- Perfect for the holidays
- Absolutely delicious!
Ingredients and substitutions
This spiked eggnog is made with just a handful of ingredients that you probably already have on hand this time of year. It also has a few ingredients that can be swapped out for other ones, which I’ll detail below!
(If you’re already ready to get started, scroll all the way down to the bottom for the full recipe!)
Here’s what you need:
- Dark spiced rum – We absolutely love dark spiced rum in this cocktail, but you could easily swap it out for bourbon or vodka if that’s your preference!
- Kahlua – Kahlua adds a really lovely touch of cozy coffee flavor + a bit of sweetness. You could substitute another coffee liqueur, keeping in mind that not all are as sweet as Kahlua.
- Espresso – You could also use strong coffee or cold brew, or leave the added coffee out altogether. Including it in this cocktail recipe definitely makes it feel like more of a “coffee” drink, but if you’re sensitive to caffeine or enjoying this drink late at night it is equally delicious without.
- Eggnog – Grab whatever your personal favorite eggnog is for this recipe – dairy or dairy free will both work!
- Vanilla extract – Another optional ingredient, but it does add a nice touch of fragrant vanilla to the martini.
- A pinch of salt – I know, salt in a cocktail? But hear me out. Salt is the great flavor balancer in cooking, and the same can be said for certain types of cocktails. The tiny pinch of salt in this cocktail balances all the other sweet and bitter flavors.
- Cinnamon – I think cinnamon pairs perfectly with the nutmeg that’s already included in eggnog, but if you prefer you could substitute it with more nutmeg – totally up to you!
What tools do I need to make this eggnog cocktail?
To make this spiked eggnog, you’ll need a few basic home bartending tools. But if you don’t have all of them, don’t stress – there are workarounds that I’ll share below.
These are the tools you’ll need to make this cocktail:
- A cocktail shaker
- A strainer – if your shaker doesn’t have one built in
- Something to measure the spirits and other ingredients with – This could either be a jigger or standard measuring spoons.
How to make this eggnog espresso martini with rum
After gathering the ingredients, this drink is made in one easy step! This recipe is for one cocktail, but some cocktail shakers should be able to fit a double batch.
You can adjust the amount of eggnog based on your preference and the size of your coupe glass. We used fairly large coupes but if you’re using a smaller glass reduce the amount of eggnog slightly so it will fit. Or just save whatever is left in the shaker for a top off when you’re ready 😉
Here’s the step-by-step instructions
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
Gather the rum, kahlua, coffee or espresso, eggnog, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, and bartending tools.
Step 2: Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker
Add all ingredients to the cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 15-30 seconds, until frothy and well chilled.
Step 3: Strain into a glass and serve!
Strain into a cocktail glass, top with cinnamon or nutmeg and a coffee bean or two, and serve!
Is this eggnog martini dairy free?
Eggnog is the only ingredient in this cocktail recipe that could potentially have dairy in it. So whether or not the recipe is dairy free depends on which eggnog you use. If you have a favorite dairy free / plant based / vegan eggnog then YES, it can absolutely be made dairy free.
If you want to try your hand at making your own vegan eggnog for this espresso martini recipe I recommend this recipe!
What is the best rum for for eggnog?
Dark spiced rum is our favorite rum to mix with eggnog. One of our favorites is The Kraken Black Spiced Rum, but this list has a ton of great suggestions!
When to serve this espresso eggnog martini with rum
This spiked eggnog is a lovely drink to enjoy around the holidays, and would be a delicious cocktail to serve for Christmas or New Years.
And just perfect for a cozy night in snuggled up next to the Christmas tree 💫
Love this festive cocktail? Try these other NK cocktail recipes!
- Spiced Hibiscus Vodka Sour
- Spiced Apple and Tangerine Spritz
- Jungle Bird Cocktail
- Red Wine Tangerine Spritz
If you enjoyed this recipe we’d love it if you take 5 seconds to rate and review it below. It’s also super helpful to me and other readers if you share any changes you made to the recipe. Thank you for sharing your kitchen with NK 🙏🏼 We are so grateful you’re here!Print
This eggnog espresso martini with rum is a luscious and festive homemade holiday cocktail. Made with your favorite eggnog, rum (or whiskey or vodka!), coffee liqueur, cold brew coffee or espresso, vanilla, and cinnamon. The perfect eggnog martini recipe to enjoy during the holiday season! Easily made dairy free by using a vegan eggnog.
- 1 ounce dark spiced rum (or bourbon or vodka)
- 1 ounce kahlua
- 1 ounce espresso or cold brew
- 3–4 ounces eggnog, depending on the size of your cocktail glass
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously until frothy and well chilled – for 15-30 seconds. Strain into a glass and top with more cinnamon or nutmeg, and a coffee bean or two if desired.
- This recipe could also be prepared the same way and served on the rocks.
- This recipe is for one cocktail, but some cocktail shakers could fit a double batch for cocktails for two!
- You can adjust the amount of eggnog based on your preference and the size of your coupe glass. We used fairly large coupes but if you’re using a smaller glass reduce the amount of eggnog slightly so it will fit. Or just save whatever is left in the shaker for a top off when you’re ready
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker or a strainer, this article has some awesome solutions for missing pieces for the home mixologist.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: drinks
- Cuisine: holiday
Keywords: holiday, christmas, thanksgiving, new years, eggnog, rum, cocktails, home bartending