This eggnog espresso martini with rum is a luscious and festive homemade holiday cocktail. Made with your favorite eggnog, rum (or whiskey or vodka!), coffee liqueur, cold brew coffee or espresso, vanilla, and cinnamon. The perfect eggnog martini recipe to enjoy during the holiday season! Easily made dairy free by using a plant based (vegan) eggnog.
Nothing quite says “happy holidays” like an super delicious & festive eggnog cocktail to sip while sitting next to your Christmas tree 😌🎄 It is the perfect December treat!
Espresso martinis have always been one of our staple make-at-home cocktails. A go to drink that we would often whip up before a night on the town. These days, we’re obviously not enjoying them before heading out of the house on a Friday night, but instead cozied up on the couch next to the Christmas tree, probably playing games or watching a holiday movie. Anyone else? This is Christmas 2020, friends.
Sad as it may be to be missing out on fun craft made cocktails this time of year, one highlight of 2020 has been diving a little deeper into some home bartending skills with cocktails like this Spiced Hibiscus Sour, and now this absolutely delightful eggnog espresso martini with rum!
Even if bartending really isn’t your thing, I promise you this espresso martini is super simple to make. Probably easier than you think! And truly so satisfying to pour yourself one of these for a cozy night in. I’ll walk you through the complete how to in this blog post.
Why you’ll love this eggnog espresso martini with rum
This spiked eggnog recipe is:
- Delightfully festive
- Laced with notes of coffee
- Easy to make
- Hinted with cinnamon and vanilla
- Perfect for the holidays
- Absolutely delicious!
Eggnog Espresso Martini with Rum Ingredients
This spiked eggnog cocktail is made with just a handful of ingredients that you probably already have on hand this time of year. It also has a few ingredients that can be swapped out for other ones, which I’ll detail below!
(If you’re already ready to get started, scroll all the way down to the bottom for the full recipe!)
The ingredients for this eggnog espresso martini are:
- Dark spiced rum – We absolutely love dark spiced rum in this cocktail, but you could easily swap it out for bourbon or vodka if that’s your preference!
- Khalúa – Khalúa adds a really lovely touch of cozy coffee flavor + a bit of sweetness
- Cold brew coffee – You could also use a single shot of espresso, or leave the added coffee out altogether. Including it in this cocktail recipe definitely makes it feel like more of a “coffee” drink, but if you’re sensitive to caffeine or enjoying this drink late at night it is equally delicious without.
- Eggnog – Grab whatever your personal favorite eggnog is for this recipe – dairy filled or dairy free will both work!
- Vanilla extract – Another optional ingredient, but it does add such a nice touch of fragrant vanilla to the martini.
- Sea salt – I know, sea salt in a cocktail? But hear me out. Salt is the great flavor balancer in cooking, and the same can be said for certain types of cocktails. The tiny pinch of sea salt in this cocktail brings all the flavors together in perfect harmony.
- Cinnamon – I think cinnamon pairs perfectly with the nutmeg that’s already included in eggnog, but if you prefer you could substitute it with more nutmeg – totally up to you!
What tools do I need to make this hibiscus sour cocktail?
To make this spiked eggnog, you’ll need a few basic home bartending tools. But if you don’t have all of them, don’t stress – there are workarounds that I’ll share below. Whatever you do, don’t skip shaking this cocktail! It’s what aerates the ingredients and builds a luscious and creamy texture.
These are the tools you’ll need to make this cocktail:
- A cocktail shaker
- A strainer – if your shaker doesn’t have one built in
- Something to measure the spirits and other ingredients with – This could either be a jigger or simply some measuring spoons.
How to make this eggnog espresso martini with rum
After gathering the ingredients, this spiked eggnog cocktail is made in one easy step! This recipe is is for one cocktail, but most cocktail shakers should be able to fit a double batch.
Here’s the step-by-step instructions
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
Gather the rum, bourbon, or vodka, khalúa, coffee or espresso, eggnog, vanilla extract, sea salt, and cinnamon, along with bartending tools.
Step 2: Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker
Add all ingredients to the cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously for at least 15 seconds, until frothy and well chilled.
Step 3: Strain into a glass and serve!
Strain into a cocktail glass, top with cinnamon and a coffee bean or two, and serve!
Is this eggnog martini dairy free?
Eggnog is the only ingredient in this cocktail recipe that could potentially have dairy in it. So whether or not the recipe is dairy free depends on which eggnog you use. If you have a favorite dairy free / plant based / vegan eggnog then YES, it can absolutely be made dairy free.
If you want to try your hand at making your own vegan eggnog for this espresso martini recipe I recommend this recipe!
What is the best rum for for eggnog?
Dark spiced rum is our favorite rum to mix with eggnog. One of our favorites is The Kraken Black Spiced Rum, but this list has a ton of great suggestions!
When to serve this espresso eggnog martini with rum
This spiked eggnog is a lovely drink to enjoy around the holidays, and would be a delicious cocktail to serve for Christmas or New Years.
Perfect for a cozy night in snuggled up next to the Christmas tree 💫
Love this festive cocktail? Try these other NK cocktail recipes!
- Spiced Hibiscus Vodka Sour
- Spiced Apple and Tangerine Spritz
- Honey Rose Kombucha Margarita
- Dark Cherry Kombucha Rum Punch
If you make this eggnog espresso martini please let us know by leaving a REVIEW and RATING below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Nyssa’s Kitchen recipes! And if you make an NK recipe be sure to snap a picture & tag @nyssas_kitchen! I LOVVVE seeing what you’re making from the blog 🥳Print
This eggnog espresso martini with rum is a luscious and festive homemade holiday cocktail. Made with your favorite eggnog, rum (or whiskey or vodka!), coffee liqueur, cold brew coffee or espresso, vanilla, and cinnamon. The perfect eggnog martini recipe to enjoy during the holiday season! Easily made dairy free by using a vegan eggnog.
- 2 ounces dark spiced rum (or bourbon or vodka)
- 1 ounce khalua
- 1 ounce cold brew or 1 shot of espresso (optional, but makes this cocktail more like a “coffee” drink)
- 3 ounces eggnog (could add a little more or less to your preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- generous dash of cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously until frothy and well chilled – for at least 15 seconds. Strain into a glass and top with more cinnamon or nutmeg, and a coffee bean or two if desired.
- This recipe is for one cocktail, but most cocktail shakers could fit a double batch for cocktails for two!
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker or a strainer, this article has some awesome solutions for missing pieces for the home mixologist.
- Category: drinks
- Cuisine: holiday
Keywords: holiday, christmas, thanksgiving, new years, eggnog, rum, cocktails, home bartending