This anti inflammatory turmeric chicken soup is made in one pot with leeks, onions, carrots, celery, peas, chicken, chicken broth, coconut milk, and flavorful spices. It is packed with nutrients, and perfect for meal prep or family dinner. The best way to warm up with when you need some homemade nourishment! Whole30, paleo, gluten free, dairy free.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless thighs or breasts
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook onions, leeks, carrots, and celery. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onions, leeks, carrots, celery, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt and sauté, stirring occasionally, until leeks are soft and starting to caramelize, for 14-16 minutes.
- Add aromatics. Add chopped garlic, turmeric, and poultry seasoning and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until spices and garlic are fragrant.
- Add broth, coconut milk, and chicken. Add broth and raw chicken to the pot, scraping up any stuck-on bits, and bring to a simmer. Make sure the chicken is submerged beneath the broth and partially cover. Simmer on low until the chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender – about 15-20 minutes.
- Shred chicken and add remaining soup ingredients. Take off the lid from the soup and remove the chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut into bite sized pieces or shred using two forks. Return chicken to the pot along with frozen peas (if using) and fresh parsley. Bring back to a slow simmer and allow chicken to warm through and peas to cook – just until bright green and soft.
- Season and serve. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with some extra parsley if desired. Enjoy!
To reheat: This soup can easily be re-heated in the microwave or over low heat on the stove top.
To store in the refrigerator: To store in the refrigerator, allow it to cool completely and transfer to an air tight container before moving to the fridge. Will keep for up to 5-6 days.
To freeze: To freeze this soup, allow to cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 4 months. To thaw, move to the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: chicken soup, turmeric, immune boosting, winter, dinner, lunch, anti inflammatory