daayum! here we are at the beginning of august (what?!) and this herby roasted carrot picnic salad with sprouted garbanzo bean pancakes and avocado fits right in like the sun in that big blue sky.
I’ve been on the road on various little adventures lately and haven’t been able to spend too much time in the kitchen so this is a recipe I’m pulling out of my back pocket for y’all. I made it a while ago to bring to the beach for a sun and sand studded picnic lunch, and I figured there might be a moment to share it so before heading out the door I snapped a few pictures and wrote down the details. it was one of those totally perfect PNW summer days when the sky literally could not get any bluer, the trees shone emerald along the horizon and the breeze off the ocean kept the the heat at bay.
I knew I wanted to make something to bring to lunch that was healthy and full of veggies but also easy to eat with our hands. I actually didn’t have much in the refrigerator (#sundayproblems) but a big handful of forgotten carrots, the end of a head of red cabbage (wins the longest-vegetable-life-in-the-fridge-award) and some herbs. I had also been waiting for the moment to try using the sprouted garbanzo bean flour that I had bought on a whim from thrive market* (*lazy girl grocery shopping obsession 🙋🏻). a quick google search brought me to this recipe and I was quickly on my way to beachy picnic food perfection.
I snuck the carrots into the oven in the morning – before the sun comes creeping through our west facing window (and our house turns into an oven itself) and then tossed them together with the herbs, cabbage and green onions just before packing it up.
the pancakes were fried ahead of time, and actually taste great at room temperature. so they are fine made in advance and left to cool before storing wrapped in a towel or tucked into a glass container.
I brought the avocado whole and sliced and scooped as we ate; pancake, avocado, carrot salad, mouth 😛 pretty respectable order of you ask me 👌🏼
did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out for you! when you rate my recipes and leave feedback it helps me continue to improve. you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the tag @nyssaskitchen or hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xoPrint
roasted carrot picnic salad with sprouted garbanzo bean pancakes and avocado
roasted carrot picnic salad with sprouted garbanzo bean pancakes and avocado, a healthy and delicious grain free and vegetarian picnic salad made with carrots, red cabbage, green onions and fresh herbs, layered with flaky sea salt + avocado onto sprouted garbanzo bean pancakes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: lunch, picnic
- for carrot salad:
- about 1 1/2 lb carrots cut on a bias into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tbs ghee
- 1/4 tsp chipotle
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- for pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cups garbanzo flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- A few grinds of freshly cracked black pepper
- preheat oven to 425, put carrots, spices and ghee in the oven for 3 minutes to melt the ghee. take out, toss carefully to coat, spreading evenly on the pan and return to the oven.
- set timer for 10 minutes. toss and spread evenly again, return to oven for another 5 minutes or so, or until the carrots are tender and the edges are starting to brown.
- while carrots are roasting whisk together all of the pancake ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 tbs of ghee.
- use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to pour the batter and fry pancakes about 3 at a time. a few minutes per side, until they are nicely browned and the edges are crisp. add more fat for each batch as needed.
- set aside on a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool.
- just before serving toss carrots with cabbage, green onion, parsley and lemon juice.
- taste and season with salt and more lemon if needed.
- top pancake with a few slices of avocado, a pinch of sea salt and carrot cabbage salad to serve!