a super easy and delicious recipe for spicy cheddar grits with fried eggs, cilantro, green onion and jalepeno.
- 6 eggs
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups grits
- about 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese (6 oz), grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 jalapeño pepper (3/4 sliced, 1/4 finely chopped), cut out seeds for less spice
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup milk
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- bring water to a boil in a large pan.
- lower to a simmer and add grits, stir slowly to incorporate. turn the temperature down a bit more to keep at a bare simmer. stir frequently to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pan. cook for about 30 minutes.
- while grits are cooking shred your cheeses, prep jalepeno, green onions and cilantro.
- when there’s about 10 minutes left of cooking time for the grits, fry your eggs. *If I’m cooking for more than a couple of people I like to warm the oven just slightly to about 200 degrees and transfer the fried eggs to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and keep warm in the oven while I cook the next batch.*
- once grits are done (they shouldn’t be any thicker than mashed potatoes, and the texture should be quite silky) stir in the butter, milk, cheeses and the finely chopped jalepeno. season to taste with salt.
- serve hot top with a fried egg, some green onions, sliced jalepeno and cilantro.
- if you plan to rehea the grits you may need to thin them out with a little more milk or water, as they will thicken once cooled.
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: vegetarian, southern