This Whole30 kale chicken Caesar salad is SUCH a crave worthy Whole30 meal! Made with hearty kale, perfectly seasoned chicken, a delightfully creamy homemade Whole30 caesar dressing, and topped with a dairy free parmesan “cheese”. Like your favorite Caesar salad, but healthier! Whole30, Paleo, Gluten free, Dairy Free.
For kale Caesar
- 2 small bunches of kale, ribs removed and cut into bite sized pieces, about 8 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Red onion, cherry tomatoes, and avocado, as desired
- Homemade Whole30 Caesar dressing, or a store bought version
- Dairy free parmesan “cheese” (optional)
For the seasoned chicken
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, ghee, or olive oil for cooking the chicken
- Prepare the Whole30 Caesar salad dressing and set aside. If using a store bought variety, skip this step.
- Make the kale salad. Add cut kale to a large bowl and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Using your hands, massage kale until softened slightly – for about 30 seconds to a minute. Drizzle kale with 1/2 cup Caesar dressing and use tongs or clean hands to toss until thoroughly coated. Add more dressing if desired. Add red onion, cherry tomatoes, and avocado if using and toss again to combine. Move to the refrigerator to keep chilled while you cook the chicken.
- Cook the chicken. Season chicken breasts evenly with garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Heat avocado oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is hot and oil shimmers, add chicken breasts and cook, undisturbed, for 6-7 minutes, until they are golden brown and lift easily from the pan. Turn and cook another 6-7 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board to rest for several minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Divide salad between 4 bowls. Dice the cooked chicken and add to the top of the salad. Finish with a generous sprinkle of dairy free parmesan if desired. Serve and enjoy!
The best part of this kale Caesar salad is that it will keep in the refrigerator for leftovers the next day, even after the salad is dressed. Since kale is heartier than romaine, it won’t wilt the same way tender greens would. This makes it perfect for lunch leftovers the next day!
This kale Caesar salad could also be made with salmon, shrimp, or (if you’re not doing a whole30) fried tofu or roasted crispy chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: whole30, chicken, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, caesar salad, kale, kale salad, healthy, dinner, lunch, meal prep