Whole30 garlic herb mashed potatoes are the healthy homemade comfort food side dish you need! Made with buttery yukon gold potatoes, garlic infused ghee, and a generous handful of fresh herbs. They are savory, creamy, and absolutely irresistible. Whole30, paleo, gluten free, and vegan option.
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces – peeled or unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup of ghee (for a vegan option use vegan butter)
- 1 cup dairy free milk, plus more as needed – choose a full fat option for creamier mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives, parsley, dill, or a combination
- Boil the potatoes. In a large pot add the potatoes and fill to cover by at least an inch with cold water and add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Bring water to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the garlic infused ghee. Add ghee to a small saucepan and warm over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook, until fragrant but not brown – for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mash the potatoes. When potatoes are done, drain and return to the pot. Add the garlic infused ghee and mash using a potato masher. As you mash, add the nondairy milk a few tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Season and serve. Season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or more if needed), and black pepper to taste. Stir in fresh herbs and serve topped with a little extra melted ghee, herbs, and black pepper if desired.
This recipe can easily be halved to make 4 servings instead of 8.
If you want to reheat on the stove or in the oven, use low heat and add a bit of extra non dairy milk and ghee to the pan before adding the mashed potatoes. Allow them to warm slowly, without stirring much. The more you stir them, the more the starch is activated which can turn them gummy.
If you are just looking to keep them warm until you’re ready to serve they can be kept warm in the oven at 250 degrees in a covered dish for up to an hour. Before serving give them a gentle stir and thin with a bit more non dairy milk if needed.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Thanksgiving, christmas, holiday, comfort food, potatoes, whole30, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, herbs, ghee