This recipe for the creamiest Whole30 Mashed Cauliflower is thick and creamy without any cheese or sour cream! A healthy side dish that is a perfect low carb swap for traditional mashed potatoes. With a slightly sweet and nutty flavor and absolutely luscious texture, this recipe is sure to be a hit. Whole30, paleo, gluten free, and with a vegan option.
I found inspiration for this recipe from these two sources:
- 1 large head of cauliflower, or 2 small heads – about 7 cups total when chopped (alternatively you can use two 1 pound bags of fresh cauliflower rice – I do not recommend using frozen!)
- 3 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup Nutpods, non dairy milk, broth or water (if you don’t have quite enough cauliflower as the recipe calls for, reduce the liquid by half, and add more if needed when blending)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the cauliflower in half, and then make a V shaped cut to remove the woody core. Slice the cauliflower very thin and then pass your knife through those thin pieces a few more times to get super small pieces. If there are any tough woody stems discard those or set aside for another use.
- In a large pot melt ghee over medium high heat and add cauliflower, chopped garlic, and sea salt. Sauté, stirring frequently, until cauliflower has started to soften and garlic is aromatic – about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour in 1/4 cup liquid of choice and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes – until cauliflower is fall apart tender.
- Purée cooked cauliflower and garlic in the pot using an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached. You can also pulse the cauliflower in a food processor or blender, or use a potato masher to mash until smooth. If using a potato masher the mashed cauliflower will be a little more texturized + less smooth, but still delicious.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately!
To store: This mashed cauliflower can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To re-heat: To re-heat this cauliflower mash, simply heat gently on the stove, stirring frequently, until warm. Or re-heat in the microwave for a minute or two, stopping about halfway through to stir, until heated through.
To freeze: I have not personally tried to freeze this cauliflower mash, and so I can’t recommend it either way. If you decide to freeze it I would make sure it’s sealed it in an airtight container. Drop a comment below if you try it!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Whole30
Keywords: whole30, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, healthy, cauliflower, low carb, keto, side dish, thanksgiving, christmas, holidays, potluck