Sweet potato hummus is an extra yummy seasonal twist on a classic hummus recipe that makes the best healthy snack or appetizer for your next get together (or weekly meal prep)! Made with chickpeas, roasted sweet potatoes, a blend of flavorful spices, tahini, and lemon juice. A perfect snack for dipping your favorite crackers and veggies. Gluten free, vegan, dairy free.
- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1–2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup cold water, plus more to thin
- Roast sweet potatoes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss diced sweet potato cubes with olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. Make sure each piece of sweet potato is nicely coated. Clean hands work great for this step! Roast for 20-25 minutes, until tender and starting to caramelize on the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Make hummus. Add sweet potatoes to the container of a food processor or blender along with chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, smoked paprika, and 1/4 cup cold water. Process on high until smooth, thinning with additional water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Season, garnish, and serve! Season to taste with salt and lemon juice. Serve topped with your favorite additions like pomegranate seeds or this pomegranate relish, whole chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, and flaky salt & pepper.
Thin with water until desired consistency is reached. The amount of water you need will depend on the water content in your sweet potatoes and how thick the tahini is. Don’t be afraid to add extra water to thin to desired consistency, keeping in mind that if you plan to chill the hummus before serving it will thicken up in the refrigerator.
Add garnishes just before serving. For the freshest presentation, add your garnishes just before serving.
This hummus should store well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.