delicata squash roasted and tossed with crispy fried shallots, fresh herbs and served alongside a salted brown butter yogurt sauce.
- 3 small delicata squash
- 2 tbs olive oil
- black pepper
- about 1/4 tsp salt + extra for fried shallots and yogurt sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, ghee, or coconut oil
- 5 small shallots thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs (parsley, cilantro and chives)
- preheat oven to 425 and bring greek yogurt to room temperature. if yogurt is not at room temperature the brown butter will solidify a bit when you mix them together.
- cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and slice into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- toss with 2 tbs olive oil, a bit of black pepper and about 1/4 tsp salt.
- roast for 25 minutes, take out and flip all pieces and roast for another 10-15 minutes, until squash is tender and the edges are nicely browned.
- while squash is roasting:
- heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, ghee or coconut oil over medium low heat and fry shallots slowly, stirring often until they are dark brown and crisp. watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- move to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain and season with salt.
- melt 2 tbs butter over medium heat to brown in a light colored pan – this way you can gauge how quickly the milk solids are browning and avoid burnt butter!
- butter will melt, start to foam and froth (this is ok, means the water is evaporating), and then the milk solids will slowly start to darken. tilt pan and stir with a spatula to ensure even browning. once it’s at that perfect toasty light brown point immediately remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- while butter cools chop your herbs.
- mix room temperature yogurt with browned butter and 1/8 tsp salt. taste and add more salt if desired.
- toss squash with about 1/2 of the chopped herbs and half of the fried shallots.
- serve topped with the extra herbs, shallots and brown butter yogurt sauce.
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: vegetarian