a satisfying and easy curry noodle soup made with chicken, udon noodles, red curry paste, garlic, ginger, turmeric, onions, red peppers, broccolini, soft boiled eggs and finished with cilantro, green onions and shredded red cabbage. super delicious and could be easily adapted to be vegetarian or gluten free!
- 1 lb chicken breast thinly sliced across the grain (like this)
- 1 1/2 tbs sesame oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tbs red curry paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- 32 oz chicken stock
- one 13.66 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 9.5 oz package of udon noodles
- 1 bunch broccolini (or about 3 cups of a hearty green)
- 1 large red pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch pf sea salt
- 4 soft boiled eggs
- for garnish:
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onions
- shredded red cabbage
- lime wedges
- heat sesame oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. add red onion and cook until starting to soften – about 5 minutes.
- once onions soften add grated garlic, ginger, red curry paste, turmeric and curry powder. cook, continuously stirring for about 1 minute, until spices are fragrant. add thinly sliced chicken and stir to coat. cook for a few minutes, until chicken is opaque.
- add chicken stock, coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce, and soy sauce. taste and adjust if necessary. bring to a simmer. cook for about 10 minutes.
- while soup simmers prepare the rest of the ingredients:
- cook eggs according to your liking. I prefer them to be on the softer side so I usually go for the 5-6 minute egg, but you could cook them however you like. here’s a great time sheet tutorial for boiling eggs.
- heat oven to a high broil and toss sliced red peppers 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. broil for about 3-5 minutes, until they still hold they’re shape but are slightly charred on the tops.
- bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook udon noodles according to package instructions. 2 minutes before they’re done add the greens to cook briefly. drain, rinse quickly with cold water and divide noodles, greens and charred red peppers among 4 bowls.
- top with hot curry broth + chicken, boiled eggs, and garnish with green onions, cilantro, and thinly sliced cabbage. finish with a squeeze of lime to taste and serve immediately.
- *if you’re not serving all of the soup right away keep the noodles and greens separate from the soup + chicken base so the noodles don’t get too soft in the broth. because nobody likes a soggy noodle.*
- Category: soup