Thanks to cashew cream, this creamy dairy free chicken and cauliflower rice soup is so creamy and delicious that you would never know it was dairy free! Made with all the same flavors of a classic chicken and rice soup, but paleo, and whole30 friendly for a satisfying and healthy meal.
- 2 tablespoons ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 small to medium sized carrots, cut into 1/4 inch coins
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms – one small package, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning or all purpose seasoning
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 pound of chicken – either tenders or chicken breasts (Trader Joe’s has been carrying organic free range chicken breast tenders and they work great for this recipe!)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 batch of cashew cream
- 2 cups of riced cauliflower
- salt and pepper to taste – I used about 2 teaspoons salt to season at the end, and a few grinds of black pepper, but the amount of salt you use will vary greatly depending on how salty your broth is to begin with. So make sure you start small and add more as needed! The best way to season anything 🙂
Before you begin: Follow the link in the ingredients list to make cashew cream first. The cashews need to soak at least for a hour with boiling water or up to overnight before you can blend them and turn them into cashew cream
for the soup
- Heat 2 tablespoons of your fat of choice in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions with 1/4 teaspoon salt and saute for about 5 minutes to soften slightly, stirring every so often so they don’t get too brown.
- Add carrots, celery, and mushrooms to the pot and turn the heat up slightly. Sauté another 8 minutes or so, until mushrooms are wilted and onions are quite soft.
- Add poultry or all purpose seasoning and sauté for another minute or so, stirring frequently, until spices are aromatic.
- Pour in broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and raise heat a bit to bring to a simmer.
- Let cook for about 12-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender and broth has reduced slightly.
- Add chicken tenders or chicken breasts and bring back to a simmer, cooking for another 5-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Cook time will depend on the size of the meat you’re using (tenders will cook much quicker than whole boneless breasts).
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred or cut into bite sized pieces. Be careful as it will be very hot. You may have to let it cool slightly before handling. Alternatively if you have some tongs you can hold the chicken with the tongs and cut or shred with a knife or fork.
- Return shredded or cubed chicken to the soup pot along with cashew cream and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn heat down to low and add cauliflower rice. Soup shouldn’t even really be simmering at this point. Cook just until cauliflower loses some of it’s raw bite, about 5 minutes or even a little less. Be careful not to overcook or the cauliflower rice will get mushy!
- Serve with some almond flour crackers and topped with more parsley for garnish if desired!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes