a fresh and simple summer time fish taco.
- 1 lb skinless salmon filet (you can ask for help removing the skin from your fish monger when you buy, or you can do it at home too – i love this technique)
- 2 tbs salt
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 wedge of lime
- 1 ripe mango cut into a small dice
- a few handfuls of arugula
- a bit of diced red onion for garnish (optional)
- green sauce
- 8 small corn tortillas
- make sure all bones are out of your filet of fish. I keep a small needle nose pliers in my kitchen drawer for this purpose. this is another thing you could ask for help with from your fish monger, although salmon bones tend to be pretty easy to remove.
- mix together your salt and sugar and sprinkle evenly over your fish. let it sit for 30 minutes while you move to the next few steps.
- dice your mango and red onion if you haven’t already.
- preheat your oven to 200 degrees while you warm a pan (preferably cast iron) to med-high heat. char both sides of your tortillas, moving to the oven as you go. leave burner on, reducing the heat to medium.
- once it’s been 30 minutes, rinse your dry brine off of the salmon and pat dry with paper towels.
- season fish evenly with chili powder and cumin.
- put 1 tbs of olive oil into your pre heated pan and wait about a minute for the oil to heat up.
- place salmon in pan and cook for about 3 minutes without moving to get a nice brown crust.
- very carefully flip your filet (a fish spatula really comes in handy here – it’s a nice long flexible spatula that allows you to get under your filet without making too much of a mess) and cook for about another 3 minutes on the other side.
- check for doneness by carefully sliding a knife into the center of your fish to peek at the interior.
- remove to a platter or cutting board and wait just a minute or two so it cools just slightly.
- break apart into medium sized pieces, squeeze with lime and taste for salt.
- plate your tacos! my order goes: charred tortilla, arugula, salmon, green sauce, mango, red onion. MOUTH! 🙂 yum.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins