This whipped parsnip with fresh herbs recipe is a delicious alternative to mashed potatoes! A crave worthy seasonal side dish that is perfect for the holidays or a cozy comfort food meal at home. Paleo, gluten free and with a vegan option!
- 3 1/2 lbs parsnips, cut into 1 inch pieces – about 6 medium sized parsnips
- 5–7 whole garlic cloves – peeled and left whole with the ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil, coconut oil, or ghee
- 1/4 cup ghee, olive oil, or butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, or another milk of choice + more as needed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs of choice – chives, parsley, or thyme are all excellent choices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a large baking sheet toss cut parsnips and garlic cloves with 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil.
- Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender and just barely starting to brown. Don’t let them brown too much or crunchy bits will form and won’t blend well into the parsnips.
- Alternatively, you can steam the parsnips and garlic until tender. This is a great option if your oven is already in use or if you don’t have a food processor or blender. If you plan to mash the parsnips by hand, see the notes in the blog post above.
- While waiting for parsnips to roast add all other ingredients except for the fresh herbs to your food processor or blender – 1/4 cup ghee, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Once parsnips are tender, remove them from the oven and add to the food processor with all the other ingredients.
- Process everything together until smooth and fluffy, with no pieces of parsnips remaining. Stop every so often to scrape down the sides if necessary. Add extra almond milk as needed to until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Once seasoned to your liking, add fresh herbs and quickly pulse to incorporate into the whipped parsnips or fold them in with a spoon.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator to reheat later!
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven roasted
- Cuisine: Comfort food
Keywords: thanksgiving, holidays, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, whole30, parsnips, side dish