a vibrant and colorful kale salad with beets, red cabbage, radishes, carrots and green onions, dressed with a chili flecked lemon tahini dressing.
- 1 large bunch of kale or 2 small bunches (about 4 packed cups), de-ribbed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs walnut or olive oil
- 3 small carrots, shredded
- 2 small beets, shredded (I used cylinder beets, which were quite small, so if you’re using regular red beets one is probably enough)
- 1/4 head of red cabbage (about 1 cup), shredded
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds + extra for garnish
- 3 tbs sunflower seeds + extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tsp white miso (if you don’t have this, and don’t feel like making a special trip to buy some, just add a little bit more salt to taste)
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 small cloves of garlic, grated or pressed
- 1/2 tsp togarashi chili, or a pinch of chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbs walnut or olive oil
- 6–8 tbs water
- place chopped and washed kale in a large bowl. add salt, honey, lemon juice and walnut or olive oil.
- massage gently for about one minute, until the leaves have started to break down and are more tender.
- add all the shredded vegetables + green onion and toss to combine.
- if serving immediately you can also add the sunflower and sesame seeds at this time, if not, keep them separate until you are ready to serve.
- combine all ingredients for the dressing except water in a food processor, and process until smooth. add water one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. different brands of tahini have different levels of thickness, so the amount of water needed will vary based largely on this factor.
- taste dressing and adjust salt, lemon and chili if necessary.
- when ready to serve toss 2 tbs sesame seeds and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds with the vegetables.
- portion onto plates or bowls, spoon dressing over the top and garnish with a little more sesame and sunflower seeds.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Category: salad, side dish
- Cuisine: vegetarian, healthy