This vegan sour cream recipe is a delicious plant based alternative to sour cream! It is rich, creamy, tangy, and the perfect thing to add to tacos, chili, nachos, and baked potatoes. And it’s made with only 5 ingredients! Vegan, gluten free, whole30 compatible, and paleo.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Just boiled water to soak
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons just boiled water to blend sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- Add raw cashews to a heat proof bowl and cover with just boiled water. Allow to soak for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight – until cashews look pale and plump. If you don’t have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, I definitely recommend soaking the cashews overnight for a smoother, creamier consistency.
- Drain cashews and add to a high speed blender along with 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons just boiled water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, and garlic. If the mixture is too stiff in the blender add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until it blends freely.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Taste and add a little more salt or apple cider vinegar / lemon juice as desired.
- Use immediately or transfer to the refrigerator to until ready to use. It will firm up more as it sits in the fridge. If you want to thin it out at all before using just mix in a little water until desired consistency is reached.
This dairy free sour cream should keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can always freeze it if you haven’t used it up in that time!
It can be stored in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 2 months. You might want to re-blend it after thawing to get the smoothest consistency.
- Category: condiment
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: condiment, side dish, sour cream, vegan, cashews, taco, burritos, baked potato, healthy, dairy free