This ultra creamy vegan corn chowder soup is the best summer corn soup! Made with a few simple ingredients for a healthy non dairy corn chowder that you’ll want to make again and again. Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, and SO delicious!
for the soup
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + enough just boiled water to cover cashews in a bowl + 3/4 cup more to blend cashew cream
- OR about 1 1/2 cups full fat non dairy milk like oat milk, almond milk, or nutpods non dairy creamer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sized yukon gold or red potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 quart of broth – reduce to 3 cups for a thicker style corn chowder
- 3 ears of corn, corn cut away from the cob, or 1 16 ounce bag of frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper, or to taste
- fresh herbs – parsley, chives, and dill would all be delicious!
- green onions
- In a heat proof bowl, pour enough just boiled water to cover cashews and set aside to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil over medium heat and add diced onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes, until veggies are soft and just barely starting to caramelize.
- Add all purpose seasoning, paprika, nutritional yeast, dry mustard, and bay leaf and cook for about a minute or so, stirring constantly, to release the flavor in the spices.
- Add diced potatoes to the pot along with the broth and bring to a simmer. If using corn from corn on the cob add the cobs to the stock while it simmers for extra flavor. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and broth is flavorful – about 15-20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, make the cashew cream. Add cashews to a blender along with 3/4 cup just boiled water. Blend, starting on low and gradually increasing speed to high (to avoid messy splatters in the blender container) until cashew cream is completely smooth. This can take up to a minute or two, depending on your blender. Stop to scrape down the sides or add a little more hot water if needed.
- Remove bay leaf and corn cobs if you used them, and add fresh or frozen corn to the soup along with cashew cream (or another non dairy milk), sea salt, and black pepper. Bring back up to a bare simmer and cook for just about 5 more minutes, until corn is bright yellow and soup has thickened slightly.
- At this point you can either leave the soup as it is, or blend part or all of it.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired, and serve topped with fresh herbs and green onions.
- While this corn soup is ULTRA creamy, it is more on the brothy end of the spectrum as far as chowders go. If you want a truly thick and creamy corn chowder you may want to reduce the broth from 4 cups (1 full quart), to 3 cups.
- Cashew cream is probably my all time favorite dairy free dairy replacement. But if you don’t have cashews, don’t feel like making cashew cream (been there!), or have a cashew allergy, you can substitute with a different non dairy milk. Full fat options will add the most creaminess – my two favorite substitutes are Oatly’s full fat oat milk, or Nutpods dairy free creamer (the original plain flavor). In general anything other than cashew cream will be on the thinner side, so expect a bit of a thinner broth if making that swap.
- If you want to use cauliflower instead of potatoes for a lower carb option, just swap them in and keep all the times and steps the same.
- This summer corn soup can be enjoyed as is, or you can blend all or part of it before serving!
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: summer
Keywords: corn, summer, simple, vegan, gluten free, healthy, corn soup, vegan corn chowder, corn soup recipe, corn chowder vegan, vegetarian corn chowder recipe, corn soup recipes, vegan corn soup, summer corn soup, healthy corn chowder, potato corn chowder vegan, how to make corn soup, sweet corn soup, dairy free corn chowder, summer soups, non dairy corn chowder, how to make vegan corn chowder soup, can you freeze vegan corn chowder soup, with cashews, with almond milk, without potatoes, with oat milk, with cashew cream, with frozen corn, the best sweet corn soup recipe