The best lettuce wrap burger! Made with seared burger patties, all the toppings, and a crave worthy burger sauce that you’ll want to put on everything! Whole30, paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free, keto, and low carb.
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee
- Onion, thinly sliced
- Tomato, thinly sliced
- Dill pickle, thinly sliced
- 2 large heads of iceberg lettuce
For burger sauce
- Prep the toppings and the lettuce “bun”. Before cooking the burgers prepare your toppings. Thinly slice the onion, tomato, dill pickle, and smash some avocado if using. Cut the stem off both heads of iceberg lettuce. Cut each one into quarters and remove the loose outer leaves and small leaves on the interior so you have 4 pieces per head of lettuce, 8 pieces total. Trim them to a bun like shape if desired and use one as the top bun and one as the bottom bun.
- Make the burger sauce. In a small bowl mix together mayo, dill pickle juice, coconut aminos, tomato paste or ketchup, chopped dill pickle, garlic powder, onion powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Make the burgers. Divide beef into 4 equal parts. Form into patties that are about 1/2 an inch thick, without overworking the beef too much. You want to maintain some of the texture of the grind. Season the exterior of both sides of the burgers with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper – the same way you would season a steak. This helps create a nice crust as they cook. Press a little dimple into the center of each patty, which will help keep them flat.
- Cook the burgers. Preheat a large skillet (cast iron works best) to medium high. When skillet is hot, add avocado oil and tip so the oil coats the entire bottom of the pan. Cook burgers, 2 at a time, for about 3-4 minutes per side, depending on how well-done you want them. Add more oil for the second batch if needed.
- Assemble burgers. Place one of the sections of lettuce on a plate. Add smashed avocado, sliced tomato, and sliced onion. Top with burger and spread some burger sauce over the top of the burger. Add pickles and the remaining half of the iceberg lettuce section and serve immediately!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: burger, whole30, paleo, grilling, summer, bacon, beef, ground beef, picnic