This recipe for the best paleo banana bread is made with ripe bananas, almond flour, tapioca flour, and sweetened with maple syrup so it is refined sugar free! Perfect texture, tender crumb, moist, and oh-so-healthy. Plus the batter is mixed in the blender for minimal dishes and easy clean up (instructions for mixing in a bowl are also included in the recipe below).
- 3 large ripe bananas or four small – about 1 1/2 cups – mash to measure more easily
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of avocado oil or melted and cooled coconut oil / ghee (you don’t want the melted fat to be super hot when you add it to the batter, or it could start cooking the eggs)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus more for the top
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- about 1/2 cup chopped nuts and seeds for the top of the loaf – I used walnuts and pumpkin seeds (optional)
- flaky sea salt for the top of the loaf (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and line with parchment paper so it hangs over the long sides – optional but will make the loaf easier to remove from the pan once baked.
To make in the blender:
- Add bananas, eggs, avocado oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3/4 teaspoon sea salt to the blender and blend on low, until smooth – use a tamper to stir it around so it mixes evenly, or stop occasionally to scrape down the sides.
to make in a mixing bowl:
- Mash bananas well in a large bowl and add eggs, avocado oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3/4 teaspoon sea salt and mix well.
To bake the banana bread:
- Pour into greased loaf pan and sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon, and swirl around with the tip of a knife.
- Top with nuts, seeds, and flaky sea salt if using.
- Bake for about one hour to an hour and 20 minutes – until center is firm and a toothpick comes out dry when poked in the center.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan and slicing.
how to store the best paleo banana bread
- Stores well at room temperature or in the refrigerator in a ziploc bag or an airtight tupperware for up to 5 days. If it’s really warm outside / in your kitchen I would opt to store it in the refrigerator.
- Can also be stored in the freezer as a whole loaf wrapped in plastic wrap, or sliced and wrapped as individual slices. Thaw in a slightly warm oven, toaster, or in the microwave.
- Category: bread
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: paleo, banana, banana bread, gluten free, grain free, healthy, easy