a super simple and healthy soup with chard, brown rice, a 6 minute egg + lime & green onions.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (a little less than 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head of green chard, washed and roughly chopped
- about 5 cups of good tasting stock (I used leftover turkey stock from thanksgiving)
- 4 eggs
- green onion
- chili sauce (some like it hot!)
- heat olive oil over medium heat in a small soup pot.
- sauté diced onion until translucent and starting to brown.
- add chopped garlic and cook for one minute more
- add washed and chopped green chard and cook until slightly wilted.
- pour in stock and bring to a boil.
- reduce to a simmer and cook until greens are tender, about 15 minutes.
- while green are cooking place 4 eggs in a small pan, completely covered with water. turn heat on high and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to medium (the water should still be simmering fairly quickly) and set a timer for 6 minutes.
- after 6 minutes drain hot water and run cool water over the eggs a few times, and leave covered with cool water until ready to use.
- taste soup for salt and adjust if necessary.
- to serve, spoon 1/2 a cup of cooked brown rice into a bowl, ladle in some broth and greens, cut one egg in half and nestle into the greens, top with green onions and a squeeze of lime. serve with your favorite chili sauce.
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: healthy, gluten free