a fresh summer caprese salad with an herbed board dressing.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 pint sized container of ciliegine mozzarella balls, well drained
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional – or add more if you like more spice!)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbs good quality olive oil
- 1 or 2 tbs balsamic reduction or balsamic vinegar (depending on how much you like)
- 4 slices of crusty bread for serving (optional)
- lightly toast pine nuts over low heat in a small pan on the stove top. be patient here – heat slow and keep a very close eye on them as they will go from toasted to burned very quickly! set aside.
- slice tomatoes in half and put in a bowl with the well drained mozzarella balls.
- put parsley, basil, garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, and chili flakes on a large cutting board. chop everything together until it is uniform
- in size and well combined.
- add olive oil and lemon juice to the cutting board and chop some more to mix in wet ingredients and marry all the flavors.
- scrape this mixture into the bowl with tomatoes and mozzarella. add pine nuts and gently toss to coat.
- taste and add more salt & pepper if needed.
- top with balsamic reduction or balsamic vinegar and serve scooped over hot-toasty-crusty bread if using!