This spicy anti-inflammatory turmeric slushy is healthy homemade refreshment at its finest! An icy treat made with fresh pressed apple cider, lemon juice, ginger, turmeric and cayenne. Packed with anti-inflammatory and immune boosting goodness that is not only good for you, but also crazy delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider or unfiltered apple juice or coconut water, orange juice, or regular h2o
- about 10 ice cubes
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3/4 inch of ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (can substitute with 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric)
- a tiny pinch of cayenne
- a pinch of black pepper (to activate the turmeric)
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend on high until smooth.
- If the slushy isn’t blending smoothly, add a little extra liquid at a time until it moves freely through the blades. It can also be helpful to stop and scrape down the sides with a spoon, or use your tamper to get things moving if you have one.
- Divide evenly between 2 glasses and enjoy!
- The fresh pressed apple juice adds a nice amount of sweetness to this recipe, but for a less sweet slushy you could substitute partially (or completely) with water or coconut water. You could also substitute orange juice.
- To make this drink ahead of time transfer the blended slushy in the blender container to the freezer, and store for up to 2 hours. Re-blend before serving, adding a little more liquid as you blend if needed.
- If you don’t have a high speed blender like a vitamix or blendtec, make sure that you finely grate or chop the ginger before blending.
- You can substitute the dried powdered turmeric with about 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric
- This is a great brand of powdered turmeric. You can also find it at most natural food stores in the spice section.
- Turmeric is a powerful spice that also can leave a stubborn stain. Avoid using any dish towels that you don’t want bright yellow marks on, make sure to wash your hands after making the latte, and clean up any spills quickly. It may also stain your blender container. If this happens, wait for a sunny day and place your blender container outside in the sun for several hours – the stain will quickly fade!
- Category: drink
- Method: blended
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: slushy, slush, slushies, turmeric, ginger, lemon, spicy, apple