This shaved cauliflower salad with walnuts and pecorino cheese might just become your new favorite salad. Made with thinly shaved cauliflower, celery, parsley, toasted walnuts, salty pecorino cheese, and a perfectly creamy white balsamic dressing. An insanely delicious and hearty vegetarian salad!
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup white balsamic (can substitute with white or red wine vinegar – these vinegars are more tart and less sweet than white balsamic, so you may end up wanting to add a little more maple syrup or honey to taste if using)
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade avocado oil mayo
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- `1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad
- 1 2 lb head of cauliflower, cut into florets and very thinly sliced
- 4 stalks of celery, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup of walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup shaved pecorino (a Y shaped vegetable peeler and then crumbling with your fingers works great for this)
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the best all around texture, toss the dressing with the cauliflower salad just before serving. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper to taste! I have however, also eaten the leftovers the next day and the salad does hold up fairly well. The only difference is that the ingredients may soften slightly under the bold and punchy dressing.
- To make this salad in advance, simply keep the dressing and walnuts separate from the rest of the salad until ready to toss and serve.
- If you have a nut allergy substitute walnuts with toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
- To make this recipe vegan substitute regular mayonnaise with vegan mayonnaise, and leave out the pecorino cheese (or substitute with a vegan cheese).