This pumpkin cashew queso is a creamy and absolutely delicious dairy free snack. Made with whole food and plant based ingredients for an easy and healthy cashew cheese recipe that will make you feel good from the inside out! Vegan, paleo, and whole30 compliant.
For the cashew queso
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in just boiled water for at least an hour
- 1/2 cup just boiled water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard OR 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- about 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce – (for a whole30 / paleo friendly recipe read your hot sauce ingredients!)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- chopped red onion
- fresh cilantro
- Soak raw cashews for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
- Drain and rinse cashews and add to blender along with just boiled water, pumpkin puree, mustard, lime juice, chili powder, chipotle powder, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and sea salt.
- Blend on high for a minute or two, until very smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick to blend, add more boiling water a little at a time until it blends smoothly, but is still quite thick.
- Once fully blended, taste and add more salt or hot sauce if desired.
- Top with chopped red onion and fresh cilantro and serve warm with chips or veggies for dipping!
- Will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for about 5-6 days.
- This vegan cashew queso needs to be refrigerated after making. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 5-6 days.
- It can be eaten cold or warm.
- To reheat, gently warm on the stove top in a small sauce pan, stirring frequently to keep it from sticking to the pan. It can also be warmed in the microwave but it’s a little bit trickier to do. If you warm it up in a large chunk of time the texture will get a little weird around the edges. So, for the best result warm it in 20-30 second increments, stopping to stir in between. A little tedious, I know – but you’ll thank yourself when you have that perfect first bite!
- To keep this dairy free cashew queso Whole30 and paleo friendly make sure your hot sauce does not contain any soy or added sugar.
- Category: snack
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: pumpkin, cashews, spicy, whole30, paleo, vegan, dairy free, appetizer, holiday, game day, vitamix, blender