Paleo mediterranean eggs benedict made with layers of spiced sweet potato planks, a bright + tangled lemony salad of arugula, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and red onion, perfectly poached eggs and a paprika spiked tahini hollandaise sauce.
For Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes
- Avocado oil, melted ghee, or melted coconut oil
- 2 cups mixed tender greens, arugula, and fresh herbs (I used dill and cilantro)
- 1/4 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- sea salt
- black sesame seeds for garnish
For Poached Eggs:
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Alternatively, you can make THIS tahini hollandaise for a dairy free version!
- 2 large or 3 small egg yolks
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of garlic powder
For Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick planks. You should have enough for this recipe and some leftovers.
- Drizzle with avocado oil, or melted ghee // coconut oil and season with salt, pepper and a little bit of paprika. Toss to coat.
- Cook for 14 minutes, remove from oven, flip, and cook another 5 minutes. If you want them crispier, broil on high for 2 minutes, watching closely so they don’t burn.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking prepare the salad.
- Toss lettuce, onions, cucumber and tomatoes and set aside.
- After salad is ready, prepare to make the hollandaise and eggs.
For Hollandaise + Eggs:
- Pour several cups of boiling water into a blender and let sit while you poach eggs.
- Bring a deep skillet of water to a boil.
- Break each egg into a small bowl.
- Lower water to a bare simmer and stir in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Have a plate lined with a paper towel ready next to the stove.
- Carefully slide each egg into the barely simmering water and set a timer for 4 minutes for a soft poached egg.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towel lined plate.
- Pour boiling water out of blender and dry. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, tahini, salt and paprika, and blend.
- With the motor running slowly add melted ghee, blending until sauce starts to thicken and is well combined. It will get thicker as it cools, but if it’s too thick from the very beginning you can thin it out with a little bit of hot water. Start with 1/2 a teaspoon and add more in tiny increments until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust salt if necessary.
Final Assembly of Benedict:
- Drizzle salad with a little olive oil, a big squeeze of lemon and a big pinch of sea salt and toss.
- Plate several sweet potato planks, top with salad, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce.
- Garnish with a little paprika, sesame seeds, and flaky sea salt and serve!