Paleo cherry strawberry crisp is the perfect simple and healthy summer treat. Free of grains, refined sugar, and processed vegetable oils, it will nourish your summer bod from the inside out!
Kitchen tools you’ll need:
- 1 2 qt or 8x8 baking dish
- Food processor or cutting board and knife
- 3 cups pitted cherries
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (to thicken fruit mixture)
- Ghee or coconut oil to grease the baking dish
- Move rack to the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350.
- Grease all the sides of your 2 quart baking dish with ghee or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together cherries, strawberries, salt, lemon juice, vanilla extract, maple syrup and arrowroot powder.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Pulse coconut flakes in a food processor until coarsely chopped (you can also do this step with a cutting board and a knife!)
- Chop pecans and hazelnuts, and add to a large bowl along with all other ingredients.
- Mix together with your hands or a fork, until you get a dry crumbly consistency.
- Top fruit with crumble.
- Important! Bake on the lower third of your oven. The first time I made this I baked it in the middle of the oven and the top starting browning a little too soon, which resulted in an unfinished fruity base, and an over done top. By moving the crisp to the lower portion of the oven you give the fruit base a head start, and slow down the browning of the crumble on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check to make sure the top isn’t getting too brown, and bake another 5-8 minutes until top is golden brown, and fruit is bubbling!
- Top with vanilla ice cream if desired, and serve!