Mango chorizo taco salad bowls with green sauce! Spicy crumbled chorizo layered over salad greens with a rainbow of veggies and all your favorite toppings.
- 1 1/4 lb chorizo sausage (I used 4 raw chorizo sausages from whole foods, and removed the casing before cooking)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, very finely diced
- pinch of sea salt
- juice of half a lime
for green sauce
- 2 jalepeños
- 4 green onions
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, tough ends cut away
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup plain whole fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp high quality mayonnaise (I love this brand!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- big pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp maple syrup or another natural sweetener
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper)
- 5 oz container of arugula
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 small mango, diced
- a few slices of red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 small avocado
- a bit of crumbled feta cheese
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat with 1 tbsp avocado oil, ghee, or coconut oil.
- Add finely diced onion and pinch of sea salt to pan and cook for about 6 minutes, until soft and starting to brown.
- Move onions to the edge of the pan, creating an empty circle in the center of the pan.
- Add chorizo sausage and press into a flat disk.
- Allow to cook for several minutes, untouched, to promote a nice brown crust.
- Flip as best as you can, and press into the pan to repeat on the opposite side. Once both sides are fairly brown, break up the meat with spatula and mix in the onions.
- Continue cooking until cooked through and well browned – about another 4-5 minutes.
- Season with a squeeze of lime juice and set aside.
for green sauce
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Wash and dry the jalepenos and green onions.
- Add green onions and jalepenos to the hot, dry pan and allow to cook for several minutes before turning. You may cover the pan to speed up the process (and reduce the amount of smoke that fills your kitchen!)
- Cook until deeply charred, and the peppers have started to soften. Keep in mind that the green onions will cook faster than the peppers.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, cilantro, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and paprika to food processor or blender.
- When green onions and peppers are slightly cooled, cut green onions into 1 inch pieces and cut away flesh from jalepenos. You may include some of the seeds for a spicier version!
- Process until smooth, season to taste with salt.
- In 4 small bowls or one large bowl layer salad greens, cabbage, mango, red onion, cilantro, and avocado.
- Top with crumbled chorizo, green sauce, and feta cheese if desired and serve!