Today we’re talking how to make the BEST paleo sloppy joe’s! This classic comfort food dish is getting a healthy makeover. A flavorful and easy paleo and gluten free meal that will please the whole family!
Sweet potato rounds:
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon avocado, coconut oil, or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- black pepper
Sloppy joe mix:
- 1 1/2 pounds grass fed ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, coconut oil, or ghee
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (omit for Whole30)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos, worcestershire sauce, or tamari
- thinly sliced jalapeño
- thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss sweet potato rounds with avocado oil, melted coconut oil, or melted ghee, sea salt, smoked paprika, and some black pepper. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until tender and starting to brown.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting make the sloppy joe mix.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil of choice over medium high heat. Add ground beef, finely diced onion, and sea salt, and cook until onions are soft and ground beef is browned – about 6-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, coconut sugar, paprika, coconut aminos, and sea salt, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 12-14 minutes, until slightly thickened and color has darkened.
- Taste and season with a little more salt if needed. Serve over the roasted sweet potato rounds topped with jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, and radishes.
- As written this recipe uses grass fed ground beef as the protein, but you could easily substitute ground chicken, turkey, or lamb as an alternative.
- For a lower carb option, skip the sweet potato rounds and instead serve the sloppy joe mix in a bowl of greens.
- When selecting sweet potatoes, keep in mind the size. For little slider style sloppy joe bites choose sweet potatoes that are long and skinny. If you want more of a full serving “sandwich” size choose sweet potatoes that are nice and wide.
- These paleo sloppy joe’s are already paleo, gluten free, and grain free. To make them Whole30 compliant, simply leave out the coconut sugar from the sauce ingredients. You can add another tablespoon or so of coconut aminos to make up for some of the sweetness of the coconut sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: comfort food
Keywords: sloppy joe, ground beef, beef, sweet potatoes, healthy, comfort food