This juicy and refreshing 4-ingredient hibiscus lemonade is made with an irresistible blend of naturally sweetened homemade hibiscus syrup and fresh lemon juice. Ready in less than 30 minutes and easy to make ahead for a family get together, summer BBQ, or weekend party! The perfect non-alcoholic drink to enjoy throughout the warmer months of the year.
For hibiscus syrup
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup agave, honey, or cane sugar
- 1/3 cup dried hibiscus flowers or 3 hibiscus tea bags
For 1 lemonade
- 2 tablespoons naturally sweetened hibiscus syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 6 ounces still or sparkling water
For a pitcher of lemonade
- 1 cup naturally sweetened hibiscus syrup
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 6 cups (48 ounces) still or sparkling water
To make the naturally sweetened hibiscus tea concentrate
- Add water and sweetener to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring to combine as it warms. Remove from the heat and add dried hibiscus flowers or hibiscus tea bags. Stir to submerge. Steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large measuring cup or bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a jar or airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To make lemonade
- Mix hibiscus syrup and lemon juice together in a single glass or a pitcher (depending on the batch size you want to make).
- Fill a glass or pitcher with ice, top it with regular or sparkling water, stir to combine, and serve garnished with a lemon wheel and extra dried hibiscus if desired!
The amount of lemon juice used can be adjusted based on your preferences. For a more tart lemonade, increase the lemon juice to 2 tablespoons per serving. For a slightly less tart lemonade use 1 tablespoon lemon juice per serving.
The naturally sweetened hibiscus tea concentrate will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
If the lemonade is already prepared (adding lemon juice and water to the concentrate), it should keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: hibiscus, lemons, lemonade, summer, drink, beverage, healthy, party, bbq, family friendly