This healthy whole30 chicken pot pie soup is creamy, delicious, made with lots of veggies, and total comfort food. Perfect to use up leftover rotisserie chicken, or turkey from the holidays! The recipe for this nourishing homemade soup is whole30, gluten free, paleo-ish, and with a vegan option.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced into half moons
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, diced (about 2 1/2 cups worth)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning or all purpose seasoning
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups pre-cooked shredded chicken or turkey (from about 1 1/2 pounds meat)
- 4 cups low sodium broth
- about 2 cups frozen peas
- herbs to garnish (optional)
- Add raw cashews to a heat proof bowl and cover with hot (ideally just boiled) water – allow to soak for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally – until softened and onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes, garlic, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes more – stirring often.
- Drain and rinse soaked cashews. Transfer to a blender with 2 cups broth and blend on high speed until completely smooth and no lumps or small pieces remain.
- Add cashew mixture broth along with remaining 2 cups broth, and shredded chicken or turkey to the soup pot. Scrape up any stuck on bits from the bottom of the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Gently simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally – until potatoes and veggies are tender.
- Just before serving turn off the heat and add frozen peas. Stir to combine and let the soup sit for a minute or two until the peas are bright green and warm.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve, topped with fresh herbs if desired.
- To store: This dairy free soup can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To re-heat: To re-heat this healthy soup, simply heat gently on the stove, stirring frequently, until warm. Alternatively it can be re-heated in the microwave. If it has thickened while warming, simply thin with a bit of broth until desired consistency is reached.
- To freeze: This soup freezes beautifully. To thaw, transfer to the refrigerator overnight, and warm gently on the stove before serving. This recipe would be an excellent way to get a bit ahead on some meal prep for nights when you just don’t feel like cooking!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: paleo, whole30, comfort food, soup, dairy free, healthy, vegan, pot pie, chicken, turkey, thanksgiving, leftovers, easy, kid friendly