This healthy apple walnut green salad is the best fall + winter green salad! Made with crisp granny smith apples, sweet shaved fennel, crunchy walnuts, flecks of fresh herbs, creamy feta cheese, and a bold and punchy vinaigrette. Gluten free, with vegan and paleo options.
For the salad
- 1 5 ounce container of tender salad greens
- 1 green apple, very thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb of fennel, shaved thin
- 1/4 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- small handful of fresh parsley leaves
For the dressing
- Place tender salad greens on a large serving bowl or platter and set aside.
- Thinly sliced the apple, shave the fennel, and thinly slice the red onion. Add them all to a medium sized bowl & toss with 1 tablespoon lemon juice to prevent browning + add some zip. Set aside.
- In a small jar or bowl combine remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt, maple syrup or honey, & parsley. Shake or whisk together until well combined. Taste and adjust salt / maple syrup / honey if desired.
- When ready to serve, top salad greens with apples, fennel, & red onion. Toss salad with dressing & finish with toasted walnuts, feta cheese, & extra parsley.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!
- This apple walnut salad can be made ahead of time if you keep it separated in several parts and assemble. Since salad greens can wilt quickly after tossing with dressing, dress it only just before serving.
- This healthy green salad is a delicious accompaniment to any of your cozy fall or winter meals. The bright and zippy flavors will lighten up any hearty cool weather meal!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: salad
- Method: chopped
- Cuisine: gluten free
Keywords: salad, green salad, apples, walnuts, fennel, red onion, parsley, salad dressing, christmas, thanksgiving, fall, winter, healthy, easy