This ground beef and cabbage Whole30 Stir Fry is an easy, veggie packed dinner that’s perfect for any night of the week! Quick to make and full of savory flavor. Whole30, paleo, gluten free, and soy free!
For the stir fry
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage, cut into thin strips – about 4–5 cups worth total
- 1 bunch broccolini, ends trimmed, tender stems cut into 1/2 inch pieces and florets left whole, or about 3 cups worth of broccoli florets
- black sesame seeds to garnish
- salt and pepper – to taste
For the stir fry sauce
- Start by prepping all of your ingredients before you even turn on the stove. Dice the shallot, chop the garlic, pull the ground beef out of the refrigerator, slice the cabbage into ribbons, cut the broccolini, and stir together the easy stir fry sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
*How to slice cabbage into thin ribbons:
Cut the cabbage in half and reserve the other half for another recipe. Take the remaining half and lay the flat side flat on a large cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice cabbage around the core into roughly 1/4 inch thick ribbons.
- Head sesame oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or wok.
- Add diced shallot, chopped garlic, and ground beef. Cook, breaking up beef with a spoon until it is completely browned, and shallots and garlic are soft – about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cabbage to the skillet and continue to cook, tossing frequently, so the cabbage wilts evenly.
- When cabbage is wilted and tender – after about 3-5 minutes – add the broccolini and stir fry sauce.
- Cook for just another minute or two, stirring frequently, until broccolini is still bright green but tender, and sauce has reduced slightly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with sesame seeds.
For a delicious Whole30 compliant and paleo option serve this stir fry with cauliflower rice, over a roasted sweet potato, or veggie noodles. And because it’s a balance meal on it’s own you can also enjoy it all by itself!
If you’re not doing a Whole30 it is also really delicious with rice or rice noodles.
To store:This ground beef stir fry can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To re-heat: To re-heat this Whole30 stir fry, simply heat gently on the stove, stirring frequently, until warm. Or re-heat in the microwave for a minute or two, until heated through.
To freeze: I do not recommend freezing this stir fry. The veggies will get overly soft and watery and it will lose it’s textural appeal.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: asian
Keywords: whole30, paleo, ground beef, gluten free, soy free, healthy dinner, 30 minute meal, sesame