Grilled summer squash caprese salad made with silky burrata cheese, fresh basil, balsamic, plenty of olive oil and toasted pine nuts – so simple and so divine!
FOR THE SQUASH
- about 3 medium sized summer squash – I used a combination of classic yellow straight neck and patty pan yellow squash, sliced 1/3 – 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil + more for brushing grill grates
- salt and black pepper
FOR SALAD ASSEMBLY
- grilled summer squash
- 4 oz burrata cheese (one large ball)
- about 10 basil leaves, torn or roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, or another nut of choice
- Toss sliced squash with avocado oil and salt and pepper. I tend to err on the side of more salt, so I probably used about 3/4 tsp for this much squash, but you could use any amount that feels appropriate for your taste buds. Same goes for pepper, I load it on, probably about 10-12 grinds in this case – but let your tastebuds lead the way.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Make sure grill grates are clean and brush with a little avocado oil. Grill squash, being careful not to crowd (you can grill in batches if necessary), until slightly charred and starting to soften – about 2-3 minutes per side, depending on the exact temperature of your grill.
- Move to a plate and allow to cool slightly.
- Top with burrata and break open to spread over the top of grilled squash. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. Top with fresh basil, pine nuts, a little flaky sea salt and more freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min