Gluten free chicken fried rice – a truly delicious (& easy!) recipe for fried rice that is arguably better than takeout. Crispy, perfectly seasoned rice, scrambled eggs, sweet peas, and green onions bring this dish to life for a dinner that the whole family will love! Gluten free, soy free option, vegetarian option.
- 1 pound chicken breast, finely diced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil or ghee, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 a small onion, finely diced
- 3 packed cups cold jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos (a combination of both is our favorite!)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional, though you may need to season with extra tamari or salt if not using)
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced, light and dark green parts divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili oil or hot sauce (optional)
- Season the chicken. Add finely diced chicken breast to a small bowl and toss together with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs. Whisk together the eggs with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Scramble the eggs. Heat 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee over medium high heat in a wok or large skillet. If using a stainless steel wok or skillet I recommend reading the tips above about how to create a nonstick surface without a nonstick pan. When hot, add whisked eggs and scramble until just barely cooked. Transfer to a large plate or bowl.
- Cook the chicken. Add another 1/2 tablespoon oil to the pan and add the seasoned chicken. Cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through. Drain off any liquid released from the chicken (or leave it behind in the pan and then dump it), and transfer chicken to the plate or bowl with the scrambled eggs.
- Stir fry the onions. Add the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil to the pan along with the finely diced onion and the thinly sliced light green parts of the green onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until translucent and soft – about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan along with the tamari or coconut aminos, and fish sauce if using. Toss to combine and press into a thin layer so as much rice as possible has contact with the hot pan. This helps build some nice crispy bits! Flip and stir occasionally, until the rice is warmed through, and tender yet crispy. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, scrambled eggs, and frozen peas back to the pan. Toss together and cook until peas are thawed, and everything is warmed through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more tamari if desired.
- Serve immediately topped with the reserved thinly sliced dark green part of the green onion, and chili oil or hot sauce if you like. Enjoy!
Long grain, medium grain, or jasmine rice tend to hold up best for fried rice. You can also substitute with brown rice if that’s your preference! If using brown rice the resulting texture will be more toothsome and chewy.
To freeze: allow to completely cool (or better yet chill it in the refrigerator overnight). Transfer to a freezer safe container (we love Souper Cubes for freezing leftovers!) and freeze for up to 4 months.
To reheat on the stove top: Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to a medium size skillet and warm over medium high heat. When hot, add your cold fried rice and stir fry for a minute or two, until steamy and warmed through.
To reheat in the microwave: Add fried rice to a microwave safe bowl. Dampen a paper towel and place it on top of the rice, tucking in the edges around the rice. Heat for 1-2 minutes, until warmed through. You can also use this method to reheat plain rice!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free, dinner, rice, fried rice, healthy, quick, easy