This easy homemade avocado oil mayonnaise is made in just a few minutes with only 5 simple ingredients for a clean and healthy alternative to store-bought mayonnaise that is thick and delicious!
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste, if you’re not sure, start with less and add more as desired)
- 1 1/2 cups avocado oil
To make mayonnaise in a food processor
- Add egg, mustard, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor. Process until smooth.
- With the motor still running, add the avocado oil in a slow and steady stream. Keep the motor running until the mayonnaise is thick and emulsified, but don’t over process or it can get too thick.
- Taste and stir in more salt if desired.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
to make mayonnaise using an immersion blender
- In a large measuring cup or very tall jar add egg, mustard, lemon juice, and salt, and avocado oil – in that order.
- Starting with the immersion blender at the bottom of the jar, blend until mayonnaise starts to form.
- Slowly lift the immersion blender and continue to blend until thick and emulsified.
- Taste and stir in more salt if desired before storing in the refrigerator.
- Homemade avocado oil mayonnaise is not as shelf-stable as store-bought mayo. This recipe should keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks or until the expiration date of the eggs that you used. An easy way to keep track of this is to note the expiration date on the carton when you make the mayo, write the date on a little piece of masking tape and label your jar before you stash it in your fridge!
- If you don’t have lemon juice you can substitute with another type of acid. Regular vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar will all work.
- The same goes for mustard. You can leave the mustard out all together, or try substituting with another “flavor booster” like grated garlic, chopped capers, or spices.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Food processor
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado oil, eggs, mayo, mayonnaise, paleo, whole30, condiment, sauce