This creamy vegan mac and cheese is a mouth-watering recipe that the whole family will love! Made with gluten free pasta and a delicious vegan cheese sauce that is made a few secret veggies and NO cashews. A healthy comfort food classic that’s ready in less than 30 minutes! Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and nut free.
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, about 1 cups worth
- 1 1/2 cups yukon gold potato peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened dairy free milk – Oat milk, almond milk, and cashew milk are all delicious options. To keep this recipe nut free opt for oat milk, or another dairy free milk that works for you
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard or 1 teaspoon dijon
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of turmeric, optional – for color
- Pinch of cayenne or hot sauce to taste, optional
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 12 ounce box gluten free elbow macaroni pasta
- Add cut carrots and Yukon gold potatoes to a medium sized pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until carrots and potatoes are tender. This should only take about 12-15 minutes – depending on the size of your carrot and potato pieces.
- While carrots and potatoes are cooking start a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- Boil pasta according to package instructions, reserving about 1 cup of cooking water before you drain it. Set pasta aside while you make the sauce.
- Drain carrots and potatoes and transfer to a blender with olive oil, non dairy milk of choice, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne (if using), lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta. Warm gently over low heat and use the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if needed.
- Season to taste with salt if desired and serve immediately!
If you’re making this mac and cheese in advance (or just reheating leftovers) just add a little bit of water at a time as you reheat it to thin out the sauce. This can be done either on the stove top or in the microwave.
I made this recipe with a 12 ounce box of pasta, but the sauce could easily stretch for up to a pound of pasta – especially if you use the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: comfort food, dairy free, easy, pasta, noodles, toddler friendly