This ultra creamy roasted cauliflower and mushroom soup is an absolute dream of a cozy soup season recipe! It’s rich in comforting flavor and packed with nourishing and healthy ingredients for a feel good soup that will warm you up from the inside out. Vegan, gluten free, paleo, keto friendly, and whole30 compliant!
For the soup
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower – about 2 pounds, cut into large florets
- about 1 pound of crimini mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 2 large shallots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and tough ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, stripped from woody stem, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil – enough to generously coat veggies for roasting
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 5 1/2 cups broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
- salt to taste – I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons
For the garnish
- reserved roasted veggies
- aged balsamic or balsamic reduction
- fresh thyme
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add cauliflower florets, halved mushrooms, quartered shallots, and cleaned garlic cloves to a large sheet pan. Toss with salt, pepper, and enough olive oil to generously coat – about 3-4 tablespoons
- Move to the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until veggies are tender and starting to brown. Increase heat to 475 and roast for another 10-15 minutes, until everything is deeply caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and reserve a few small crispy cauliflower + mushroom bits to garnish the soup with if desired. Add 1 1/2 cups broth to the sheet pan and scrape up any browned bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan – this not only makes clean up easier, but also grabs all the umami packed flavor bits for the soup. Add the entire contents of the roasting tray to a large soup pot along with the remaining broth, raw cashews, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos or tamari, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil and then quickly reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, until cashews are plump and cauliflower is fall apart tender.
- Blend soup in a blender (in batches if needed) until silky smooth. Return to the pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with reserved roasted veggies, a sprinkle of fresh thyme, and cracked black pepper.
- To make this recipe nut free, simply omit the cashews or substitute 1 1/2 cups of the broth with your favorite non dairy milk or creamer.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: mushroom, cauliflower, winter, cozy, soup, soup season, thyme, shallots, roasting, cashews, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, whole30, keto