Cilantro lime rice is the perfect simple side dish for any Mexican inspired dinner! Made with just a handful of simple ingredients and absolutely loaded with zesty flavor. Easy to make and so delicious! Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup white jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water or broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 sliced green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, tightly packed
- Prepare the rice. Using a fine mesh strainer rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Add to a medium sized saucepan along with 1 1/2 cups water or broth, kosher salt, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to lowest possible temperature. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Prep the olive oil and lime mixture. While the rice cooks, prep the remaining ingredients. In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, green onion, and jalapeño if using. Chop the cilantro and set aside, keeping it separate from the other ingredients.
- Mix it all together. Remove the lid from the rice and fluff with a fork. Transfer rice to a bowl and gently toss with the olive oil and lime mixture until well combined. Season to taste with salt. Just before serving add the cilantro and toss again.
- Serve and enjoy!
To make with brown rice make sure you adjust the cook time and amount of liquid so it cooks properly.
Storing: To store leftover rice in the refrigerator, allow it to cool and then transfer to an air tight container. Will keep for to 4-5 days.
Reheating: This rice can easily be re-heated in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or gently warmed on the stove in a skillet with a splash of water of broth until heated through.
Freezing: To freeze cilantro rice allow it to cool completely before transferring to a large ziploc freezer bag or an air tight container. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican