This super simple cashew cream corn pasta with basil makes the best, quick summer meal! Made with an exceptionally creamy (easy to make!) cashew based sauce, fresh or frozen sweet corn, your favorite pasta, and basil. It will delight the entire table for lunch, dinner, or as a flavorful side dish. It is GF, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian.
- 12 ounces gluten free pasta
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels or 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernals
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese
- Soak the cashews. Soak raw cashews in just boiled water in a heat proof bowl for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour. If you’re in a hurry, you can simmer the cashews on the stovetop for 10-15 minutes until they are pale and plump.
- Cook the pasta and corn. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions, undercooking by about 1 minute (it will continue to cook more in the sauce). Add corn during the last minute of cook time. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water to use for thinning the sauce later in the recipe. Drain and set aside.
- Make the sauce. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the creamy sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and fragrant – about 1-2 minutes. If the garlic seems to be darkening too quickly reduce the heat to low and add a tablespoon of water to the skillet. The water will soften the garlic and evaporate as it cooks. Once garlic has softened add it and the olive oil to a blender with soaked and drained cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, broth, and kosher salt. Set the skillet aside for the next step. Blend sauce on high until smooth and creamy, with no pieces of cashew remaining.
- Combine the pasta and sauce. Add cooked pasta and corn to the skillet over medium low heat. Pour in the sauce and stir to combine. Stir frequently until the sauce and pasta are warmed through and sauce evenly coats the pasta. Thin with a little bit of the reserved pasta water at a time until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with basil, chives, and Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese if desired.
See notes in the section above for recipe variations and addition ideas.
To store in the refrigerator: Allow to cool to room temperature and transfer to an airtight container before moving to the fridge. It should keep for up to 5 days.
To reheat: This pasta can easily be reheated in the microwave or in a small skillet over low heat on the stovetop. However you reheat, I recommend adding a few tablespoons of water or broth to the pasta as cashew cream sauces tend to thicken in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn, pasta, summer, cashews, cashew cream, basil, chives, herbs, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan, healthy