This Whole30 white chicken chili is the perfect easy to make soup for those cold weather days! Made with two kinds of peppers, onions, garlic, a homemade seasoning blend, shredded chicken, and dairy free cashew cream. A healthy and satisfying twist on a southwest classic! Paleo, Whole30, dairy free, gluten free, vegan option.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water + more to soak cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs or about 3 cups pre-cooked shredded chicken (for a veg option, omit chicken and substitute with extra veggies or canned beans)
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews. Add cashews to a heat proof bowl and cover with just boiled water. Set aside.
- Sauté veggies and spices. In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onions, garlic, bell pepper, celery, and jalapeno pepper. Sauté until onions and peppers have softened and are starting to caramelize – about 10-12 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, until spices are aromatic.
- Add broth and chicken breasts and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes – until chicken is cooked through. Reduce heat to low. If using already cooked shredded chicken, just simmer the veggies and broth for 10-15 minutes and add the chicken in the next step.
- Shred chicken. Carefully remove chicken from the soup to a cutting board. Allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle shred using two forks or cut into bite sized pieces. Return to the soup, keeping the heat on low.
- Prepare the cashew cream. Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender with 1 cup of hot water. Blend on high for a minute or two, until completely smooth and no pieces of cashew remain. Add cashew cream to the soup and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or so – to thicken slightly and bring the flavors together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and the juice of one lime.
- Serve and enjoy! Top with Cilantro, avocado, radishes, jalapeño, and extra lime wedges if desired and serve!
Storing: This chili can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: To re-heat, gently warm on the stove in a small sauce pan, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Can also be warmed in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, until hot.
Freezing: Because this soup is made without dairy freezes really well. Freeze in an airtight container for 2-3 months. To defrost move to the refrigerator to thaw overnight or slowly warm in a sauce pan until heated through.
To make this soup without cashews I would recommend substituting the cashew cream with an unsweetened dairy free creamer that you like. Nutpods are an excellent option because they are so creamy! You’ll likely want to add about 1 1/2 cups worth, but can adjust that amount based on your preference.
To make this chili with ground chicken simply add it during step 3 with the spices. Cook, breaking up with a spatula until the meat is browned and cooked through. Proceed with the rest of the recipe as written.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: chili, chicken, whole30, paleo, healthy, game day, winter, fall, soup