This watermelon arugula is a delightfully refreshing summer salad! Made with ripe and sweet watermelon chunks, diced cucumber, peppery arugula, briny feta cheese, fresh mint leaves, and chopped pistachios for crunch. The best salad to bring to cookouts, picnics, or family dinner. Gluten free, vegetarian, vegan option, paleo option, Whole30 option.
For the salad
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2–3 big handfuls arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped or torn mint
- 1/2 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese (optional, omit for vegan, paleo, Whole30 option)
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
For the dressing
- Make the dressing and prep the ingredients. Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside. Cut, chop, and measure remaining salad ingredients.
- Toss the salad. Add salad ingredients to a large bowl, reserving a little bit of the feta, mint, and pistachios to garnish. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve and enjoy! Season to taste with salt if needed and serve immediately for the best texture.
This salad is best served fresh. The greens will start to wilt fairly quickly because of the dressing if it sits around. It will still taste good after a day or two, but won’t be as fresh.
If you’re planning to have leftovers I would suggest leaving the arugula out of the salad except for the portion you’ll be eating immediately.
If you want to make this salad ahead of time just prep all of the ingredients and store them in separate containers until you’re ready to toss it together and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Cold
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: watermelon, salad, fruit, healthy, feta, mint, arugula, pistachios, bbq, potluck, cookout, dinner, summer