The best vegan black bean soup is made with simple ingredients like canned black beans, veggies and some flavorful spices. Hearty and full of flavor and nutrition! Top it with your favorite garnishes like cilantro, red onion and lots of lime for a satisfying and easy soup!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, cut into strips and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups broth of choice + a little extra to thin if needed
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- lime – this one is the only one I INSIST on! Brings the flavors to life.
- sliced jalapeno
- fresh cilantro
- red onion
- In a large soup pot, heat avocado oil to just barely above medium heat.
- Add diced onion, celery, bell peppers, jalapeño and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add minced garlic, tomato paste and dried spices, including bay leaf. Stir constantly and cook spices for a minute or so, until fragrant and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add broth and beans, and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a strong simmer.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, until soup has reduced slightly and flavors have had a chance to mingle.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return blended soup to the pot and stir together. Thin with a little bit more broth if it is too thick and season with salt.
- Serve with fresh lime, diced red onion, cilantro, jalapeños and sour cream and/or cheese (for the non vegan folks!)
- For the non-vegan folks: a little yogurt / sour cream and some grated cheese also make an amazing addition to the top of the soup!