Sweet and spicy Mexican roasted sweet potatoes! The perfect easy-to-make sweet potato side dish to pair with all of your Mexican themed dinners. Made with pantry friendly sweet potatoes, a few simple spices, a short blast in a hot oven, and a generous drizzle of sticky sweet honey. Easy, healthy, delicious, gluten free, paleo, and vegetarian!
- 3 medium or 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper – to taste
- about 1 tablespoon honey
- chili flakes
- pumpkin seeds
- thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and cut sweet potatoes into equal sized rounds – about 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Roast on a sheet pan, flat side down, flipping halfway through, for about 22-26 minutes, until tender all the way through and caramelized on both sides.
- Serve topped with about a 1 tablespoon drizzle of honey and your favorite mexican garnishes – cilantro, lime, and extra chili flakes.
- Cut sweet potatoes into mostly equal sized pieces to make sure that they cook evenly! The smaller the pieces, the fast they will roast.
- If the sweet potatoes are organic, leave the skins on! This boosts nutrients and fiber content. If they are not organic, you may want to peel them to reduce pesticides.
- Garnish finished sweet potatoes with any mix of ingredients that sound good to you – lime, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, or thinly sliced red onion would all be delicious!
- Make extra sweet potatoes to save for your meal prep. Pair with a big salad, a hearty breakfast bowl, or rice, beans, and salsa!
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven roasted
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: oven roasted, mexican, southwest, sweet potatoes, easy, healthy, spicy, cinco de mayo, tacos, breakfast