This spiced hibiscus vodka sour recipe is a fun and festive twist on a classic vodka sour cocktail. Floral, laced with notes of cinnamon + ginger, and perfectly sweet tart for an easy make at home cocktail. Naturally sweetened!
For the infused hibiscus tea
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons loose dried hibiscus or 2 hibiscus tea bags
For the cocktails
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice (1 tablespoon)
- 3 ounces vodka (6 tablespoons)
- 4 ounces spiced hibiscus infusion (8 tablespoons)
- 1 ounce maple syrup (2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg white or 2 tablespoons aquafaba (the liquid inside a can of chickpeas)
- Add water, fresh sliced ginger, a cinnamon stick, and hibiscus to a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until dark red in color and very aromatic. Remove from heat, strain, and transfer to the refrigerator to finish cooling. This step can be done well in advance if you know you’re making these cocktails later in the week or in the evening.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, vodka, 4 ounces hibiscus infusion, maple syrup, and egg white or aquafaba in cocktail shaker and shake WITHOUT ice for about 15 seconds. This is called a “dry shake” or “double shake” method, and it allows the egg white or aquafaba to be incorporated into the rest of the ingredients and aerate before being diluted by ice.
- Now add a handful of ice cubes to the cocktail shaker and shake for another 15 or so seconds. This chills the drink and further strengthens the foam.
- Strain into 2 rocks size cocktail glasses filled with ice and enjoy! Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a few hibiscus flowers if desired.
- If you would rather not use a raw egg white, or are looking for a vegan option, aquafaba works incredibly well as a vegan egg white substitute! What is aquafaba? Aquafaba is the liquid that you find in a can of chickpeas. Because of it’s starchy nature it can be used in many applications in place of egg whites, and works very well to build foam in a cocktail.
- Two tablespoons of aquafaba is equal to one egg white.
- To make this cocktail recipe without alcohol, simply omit the vodka, or substitute with an alcohol free spirit.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: cocktail
Keywords: cocktail, holidays, thanksgiving, christmas, festive, celebrate, hibiscus, sour, eggwhite sour, cinnamon, ginger